Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking parked cars/crossing divide in road

Options
  • 01-12-2009 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Second test coming up and my main fault last time was overtaking parked cars (much to my amazement) which i got four grade 2's for. Dont know where I went wrong so I'm trying to cover all bases on where I might have gone wrong.

Somethings ive been told and would very much appreciate clarified:

Leave three feet/a door width from parked cars either side?

If im on a narrow road, cars lining either side is third gear low enough to cruise by?

You dont need to indicate around an obstacle when in a housing estate but on bigger roads you do?

And my main thought (relates to last point), any time I cross into an opposing lane of traffic tonavigate an obstacle should i indicate and leave the indicator on until ive cleared the obstacle and move back in? How does it apply to roads with no white (broken/solid) line dividng them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I failed on this (partially) the first time too. Indicate when moving out and then cancel the indicator. Don't bother indicating back in as it's assume that this is your intention. Take care when indicating out at junctions etc as it may confuse (or be seen as confusin)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Indicate when you have to cross a white line of any form. Do not attempt to cross the white line to overtake parked cars if there is oncoming traffic.

You do not have to indicate if there is no white line and no oncoming traffic.

I don't know about 3rd gear, because I don't know what speed that is in your car. You should be travelling at a speed at which you can bring the car quickly to a halt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Brow wrote: »
    Second test coming up and my main fault last time was overtaking parked cars (much to my amazement) which i got four grade 2's for. Dont know where I went wrong so I'm trying to cover all bases on where I might have gone wrong.

Somethings ive been told and would very much appreciate clarified:

Leave three feet/a door width from parked cars either side? DOOR WIDTH

If im on a narrow road, cars lining either side is third gear low enough to cruise by? Depends on speed, be in a gear which is suitable for the speed

You dont need to indicate around an obstacle when in a housing estate but on bigger roads you do? If you are altering your course on any road, indicate

And my main thought (relates to last point), any time I cross into an opposing lane of traffic tonavigate an obstacle should i indicate and leave the indicator on until ive cleared the obstacle and move back in? How does it apply to roads with no white (broken/solid) line dividng them?
    SAME as above, indicate if altering your course on any road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The road I take to work has lots of parked cars (say a stretch of three cars, then nothing for ten metres, more cars etc) and turn off's to the right so am I not only confusing drivers with my indicating?? It's one I am not sure about. I'd be indicating like a loon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The road I take to work has lots of parked cars (say a stretch of three cars, then nothing for ten metres, more cars etc) and turn off's to the right so am I not only confusing drivers with my indicating?? It's one I am not sure about. I'd be indicating like a loon
    In that situation where there are intermittant parked vehicles, you should indicate and take up you position early and maintain that position if possible rather than continuing to go in and out. It also helps your progress as oncoming traffic is more likely to give way to you as you are in position and more visible. There is no need to have the indicator on once you have taken up your position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Brow wrote: »

If im on a narrow road, cars lining either side is third gear low enough to cruise by?

I'd imagine that you should be in second gear if the road is narrow and cars on either side.

When i was doing lessons the i had to go through some estates in first gear because they were so narrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KatieJ.

You need to give adequate clearance to parked cars and anything stationary-
    *allow a car door width on either side
    *use 2nd gear to move slowly on a narrow road with parked cars on both sides
    *use the mirror, signal , manoeuvre routine to move around parked cars or any obstacles
    *avoid keeping too far over to the left so that you have to steer past the
    obstruction at the last minute, a gradual change of course is required.
    *If you have to stop and wait keep well back from the obstruction in a position that not only keeps your zone of vision open but also doesn't impede the approaching traffic.
    *don't weave in and out of parked cars, its confusing to other drivers. Once you've moved out cancel your signal and maintain your position until
    the road ahead is clear and you can move back in.
    *This applies to all roads, with or without road markings.

Advertisement