Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dispute VRT

Options
  • 01-12-2009 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Sorry to be asking a question on my first post but ive being following this forum for a while now and decided who better to ask then the good people of Boards.ie!!

My question is has anyone (either successfully or unsuccessfully) ever disputed a VRT rate? My VRT office has a OMSP of nearly 3 times the actual price of my car!! The model is not on the VRT website so they came up this figure themselves.

To dispute the rate I need to do so after I pay the VRT. There is no way I will pay it if I don't have a very strong change of getting something back..

Many thanks
    Vass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes there was a couple of posters on here successfully appealed, almost all who appeal it have it granted provided your estimate is realistic. Your best bet is to concentrate on the OMSP of similar cars in Ireland on sale around the country and compare it to their estimate on yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You need to pay first, then appeal it. I was successful in an appeal earlier in the year, got the amount reduced by about 40% to the minimum rate for the car, it took three months. I sent in copies of receipts, photos of cosmetic defects and printouts of adds for similar cars.
    I found out here that the way to do it is to lodge a second stage appeal once 1 month has passed without response but the judgement arrived two days after I lodged the second stage appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Appealed the OMSP of two vehicles, got 600 odd euro back in each case. Used adverts from Carzone as supporting data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There was an article in a regional newspaper recently. Nearly half of all appeals are successful.

If you have examples of ads from carzone etc then there's every chance you will get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Checked on Carzone for 03 S40 D and not one of the adverts is less than the ros.ie OMSP, Bugger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

I appealed and they came back with a higher price than I had paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

So did you have to pay the extra ? I didn't realise an appeal could cut both ways ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

No.

Advertisement