Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter Telescope for a Junior

Options
  • 01-12-2009 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking to get my son a beginner telescope for christmas. Im basically just looking for advice on the best type/setup for a learner...

Ive seen the Nation Geographic ones etc, but have a feeling they are just branded rubbish, and for the same money they may be better ones available?

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

whats your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cica 100/150ish...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

you could get an astromaster 130eq for about 150 or less without the motordrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Hiya EnterNow

Dont know if any of these would be to your liking , Lidl are doing scopes on the 10th of this month
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20091210.index

Thought id just pop the link up here in case anyone wants to have a look !

Or look here
    http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=all&stype=1&si=telescope

Good luck in your search ;)

Regards
    Stargate

EnterNow wrote: »
    Hi guys, looking to get my son a beginner telescope for christmas. Im basically just looking for advice on the best type/setup for a learner...

Ive seen the Nation Geographic ones etc, but have a feeling they are just branded rubbish, and for the same money they may be better ones available?

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated :)

Did you get one EnterNow ?

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, only getting back to this thread now. Yeah I picked up one in Smiths - the Nat Geo one I was rambling about. Can remember the specs as its packed away now from young prying eyes, but Ill post them if anyone's interested.

Cheers guys, only getting back to this thread now. Yeah I picked up one in Smiths - the Nat Geo one I was rambling about. Can remember the specs as its packed away now from young prying eyes, but Ill post them if anyone's interested.

I hope its clear xmas night for him Enternow and the wonders of the heavens stay with him a lifetime , i think the moon will be up during daylight , he could start with that , Mars 8/9pm if its not too late for him :P Wish him a lot of fun on xmas day and may he get the wonderment of joy the heavens bring us all !

Stargate wrote: »
    I hope its clear xmas night for him Enternow and the wonders of the heavens stay with him a lifetime , i think the moon will be up during daylight , he could start with that , Mars 8/9pm if its not too late for him :P Wish him a lot of fun on xmas day and may he get the wonderment of joy the heavens bring us all !

Thanks very much, and the same to you. And all here!

Thanks very much, and the same to you. And all here!

Let us know how he gets on EnterNow ok ;)

Advertisement