Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Goggle Recommendation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rebrabuk

Were your goggles fogging up while you were wearing them over your eyes or did you have them resting on your forehead? Thats one of the worst things you can do with your goggles either keep them on your face or take them off altogether resting them on top of your head is liable to make them fog up with condensation. If they were on your face you had a crap pair.

Just try to look for dual lens, venting and anti-fog coating when getting goggles and obviously try them on beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Yeah i was wearing them over my eyes, i had previously heard that it wasnt a good idea to have them on your forehead. They probably werent the best pair i had last year- but i want to make sure i get a good pair this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Smith_Knowledge_OTG_Turbo_Fan_Goggles_2010__black.html

I never worn these skiing but tried a similar goggle in the shop last year, felt good with the built in fan, powered by a small battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

BoardsRanger A frame is the smallest fit of the Oakley Goggles the Wisdom is probably best suited to the larger face. Pretty much the same spec but with diffrent shape

I wear the Wisdoms and love them

The new Splice is getting great reviews and they do a dumount series in them.

Great thing about Oakley is the lenses are interchangable and can be ordered on line one pair of goggles for all conditions.

Bit of advice if you are buying bring you lid if you wear one to make sure they are compatible nothing worse than a big gap between the two to get burned in (Wind or Sun)!!!

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Smith_Knowledge_OTG_Turbo_Fan_Goggles_2010__black.html

I never worn these skiing but tried a similar goggle in the shop last year, felt good with the built in fan, powered by a small battery.

Cheers - they look kinda good but not sure if the fan noise would drive me mad? Il check them out and see how loud they are.
    Fattes wrote: »
    BoardsRanger A frame is the smallest fit of the Oakley Goggles the Wisdom is probably best suited to the larger face. Pretty much the same spec but with diffrent shape

I wear the Wisdoms and love them

The new Splice is getting great reviews and they do a dumount series in them.

Great thing about Oakley is the lenses are interchangable and can be ordered on line one pair of goggles for all conditions.

Bit of advice if you are buying bring you lid if you wear one to make sure they are compatible nothing worse than a big gap between the two to get burned in (Wind or Sun)!!!

Yeah i was just checking out the wisdom goggles and they look the job! I never even though about them not being compatabile with my lid -must bring it with me- good tip, thanks

One final question then now that i have that sorted- whats a good everyday lens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Pink Iridum for low to meduim light

Fire Iridum for the Blue Bird powder days

Sadly there is not one that does it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

The oakleys are good, never had a pair but friends how had them had no problem's..

I have these Smith Phenom's.. never had a single bit of fog in them.. thay are great!!
    smith_phenom_wallstgold.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

I have had these for last 4 years including a season in Canada where it hit -45

They are aweseome in every condition , if they do fog at bottom of a run once ya get moving they are clear in seconds

Dont go to snow and rock , complete rip off , try them on there then order online

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-A-Frame-Ski-Goggles-%252d-Jet-Black-%7B47%7D-Fire-Iridium.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

One final question then now that i have that sorted- whats a good everyday lens?

Rode in every condition possible in these

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-A-Frame-Ski-Goggles-%252d-Jet-Black-%7B47%7D-Fire-Iridium.html

Only time I have had problems was a white out blizzard but fook all is going to help ya there !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Okay, in advance of any advice- try and imagine Christy Moore on skis.:D I found last year that if i was skiing for awhile and working hard, that i would perspire and my goggles would fog up.
    I have heard that the oakley A frames were good? http://www.snowandrock.com/oakley-a-frame-goggle/goggles/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/4071
    Also, they should be suitable to fit a relativley large face. Any ideas?

I had this problem - i have a naturally very hot head, strange i know, but im never cold, and when im working hard skiing I get very hot.

I tried several of my mates goggles to no avail, and eventually splashed out on some oakley a-frames over there. Expensive, but best buy of all skii equipment, didnt have one fog after that.

It is critical though that you do not wipe the inside of the visor! Oakleys come with a special cream already applied on the inside, and if you ever wipe it when there is any sort of moisture on the inside you'll either smear the cream or take it clean off.

Only ever clean the inside of the visor with the oakley cloth, and only when it is completely dry. If you get moisture or snow on the inside let it sort itself out, with worst case calling into a mountain cafe and putting your goggle on the radiator, and only ever dab lightly with a tissue.

The other consideration with goggles is what level of shading for the visor, i got mine quite light and even in direct sunlight it's still ok - though at its limit. But light shading is much better for any sort of moisture/mild fog, snow, and dark days.

Edit: I think these were the ones i got (at least v similar), but the light visor is excellent.

Edit 2: depending on how big your face is, i'd look at these too

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys. Im gonna go try on the Wisdoms with my helmet and see how they fit. Will probably have to get 2 lenses but will decide on that later.
    I will route out this thread in february and write a review on whatever i do get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

did you wash the inside with tooth paste before you went??? when their made a film thing is put on them...you can but special cleaners to take this off but toothpaste works as well...if you didnt do this they would deff fog up!!! its the same with scuba diving goggles!!!

if looking for Oakleys 53 degrees north in Blanch have them on the 3rd floor...if you have a helmet bring them with you!!! and Oakley deff have ones for big faces...my bf was trying them on and the womans fit him better then the mens cause the mens were so big!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Iv been using Dragon Mace (got them of ebay for 80yoyos) for 2 years now.

Really nice goggles with good peripheral vision and they fit under my helmet something nice!

I would recommend them apart from the fact that no shops in ireland sell them which leaves you in a sticky situation when / if you need to replace the lenses as they can get expensive.

NOMIS%20MACE.jpg

I have these ones with the Jet ionised lenses perfect for blue bird days and the Yellow lenses for those far too frequent overcast days... shame i cracked one in half and scratched the crap out of the other ones when i broke my teeth off rocks..

did you wash the inside with tooth paste before you went??? when their made a film thing is put on them...you can but special cleaners to take this off but toothpaste works as well...if you didnt do this they would deff fog up!!! its the same with scuba diving goggles!!!

if looking for Oakleys 53 degrees north in Blanch have them on the 3rd floor...if you have a helmet bring them with you!!! and Oakley deff have ones for big faces...my bf was trying them on and the womans fit him better then the mens cause the mens were so big!!! lol

Toothpaste? Seriously? haha id say il look a tidy state first day out and not being able to see as a result of toothpaste on my lens!
    granty1987 wrote: »
    Iv been using Dragon Mace (got them of ebay for 80yoyos) for 2 years now.

Really nice goggles with good peripheral vision and they fit under my helmet something nice!

I would recommend them apart from the fact that no shops in ireland sell them which leaves you in a sticky situation when / if you need to replace the lenses as they can get expensive.

NOMIS%20MACE.jpg

I have these ones with the Jet ionised lenses perfect for blue bird days and the Yellow lenses for those far too frequent overcast days... shame i cracked one in half and scratched the crap out of the other ones when i broke my teeth off rocks..

Cheers granty - they look very nice but would really need to try them on b4 buying. Hopefully i wont have the pleasant experience of smashing my teeth off rocks so my lenses will last! haha - sounds painfull though- hope it didnt put ya off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

Toothpaste? Seriously? haha id say il look a tidy state first day out and not being able to see as a result of toothpaste on my lens!

you wash the toothpaste back off!!! :P but yeah...something in it takes off the film and that should stop them fogging!!! try it some morning on your way out...put them on when your going out the door and see if they fog!!!

also my ski instructor 2years ago when hes goggles weren't on his head they were under his jacket against his side...supposedly it keeps them at a good temperature so they don't fog up after lunch...never tried it but it seems a bit wishy washy to me!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Been looking on the net for a while now for something affordable... I am going a little earlier than I would normally this year and thinking the shades wont cut it as it will likely be colder. I've bought cheap goggles before and they fog up way too easy, but at the same time I can't afford Oakleys or Scott as even entry level is way out of my price range.

Anyone with experience with some Ebay knockoffs or copycats? Couldn't care less what they look like, as long as they do a solid job...

Advertisement