Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Horror/Triller Books

• 01-12-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Just wondering if it was possible to use this forum to look for any good titles out there to tickle our imaginations while we can't watch scarey movies :)

The literature section doesnt have a break down for genre's afaik so would be great to get any suggestions people have on good books out there that people may not know of.

I'm always on the look out for a good book but a good 70% of the books I read are horror's and trillers.

I'l list a few of what I've read and give a lil idea of what each is about if people want to do the same it would be great to get some more ideas.

Fingers crossed it works ^^,

Will Post in the following format
    Title - Author
    Back of Book description
    My Thoughts

If anyone posts any other opinions il add to the my thoughts part as others may find them good or bad to.

Patient Zero - Johnathan Mayberry
    When you have to kill the same terrorist twice in one week there's either something wrong with your world or something wrong with your skills... and there's nothing wrong with Joe Ledger's skills. And that's both a good, and a bad thing. It's good because he's a Baltimore detective that has just been secretly recruited by the government to lead a new taskforce created to deal with the problems that Homeland Security can't handle. This rapid response group is called the Department of Military Sciences or the DMS for short. It's bad because his first mission is to help stop a group of terrorists from releasing a dreadful bio-weapon that can turn ordinary people into zombies. The fate of the world hangs in the balance....

Read this a few weeks back and thought it was a great read. Flew threw it and it's a nice mix of action and a decent story/explaination of what happened and why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

The Birthing House - Christopher Ransom
    When Conrad Harrison impulse-buys a big old house in Wisconsin, his wife Jo doesn't share his enthusiasm, reluctant at the idea of leaving their LA life - so Conrad is left to set up their new home as she ties up loose ends at work. But Conrad's new purchase is not all that it seems. Soon Conrad is hearing the ghostly wailing of a baby in the night, seeing blood on the floor and being haunted by a woman who looks exactly like Jo. With his wife away, Conrad becomes obsessed by the pregnant girl next door, Nadia, who claims to be a victim of the evil in the house. The crying leads him to a bricked-up body, and the mystery of the Birthing House unravels, pulling in Jo, Nadia and leading Conrad to a nightmarish conclusion...

This book took away a week of my life that il never get back - Not worth the paper its printed on imo and yet it is highly recommended on a fair few sites. If you like a scare no point in reading this. Wasn't planning on putting any bad books up but i think this one shoulda had a warning cos from the description and reviews I read I thought it woulda been quite good.

World War Z - Max Brooks
    It began with rumours from China about another pandemic. Then the cases started to multiply and what had looked like the stirrings of a criminal underclass, even the beginnings of a revolution, soon revealed itself to be much, much worse. Faced with a future of mindless, man-eating horror, humanity was forced to accept the logic of world government and face events that tested our sanity and our sense of reality. Based on extensive interviews with survivors and key players in the 10-year fight-back against the horde, "World War Z" brings the very finest traditions of American journalism to bear on what is surely the most incredible story in the history of civilisation.

Read this a few months ago and I think it will be one of those I'l read over and over. It's written as though it is a collection of reports, interviews and tv clips about what is happening/happened all over the globe when an outbreak occurs. Full of scares and great imagaing that is making me soo excited about the upcoming movie. Great read well worth it.

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead - Max Brooks
    Drawing from reams of historical data, laboratory experiments, field research, and eyewitness accounts, this comprehensive and illustrated guide is the only book you'll need to face the greatest challenge mankind has ever encountered. Granted, you probably already know that skills such as wilderness survival, leadership, and basic first aid are important when fighting off hordes of the undead. But The Zombie Survival Guide doesn't stop there, teaching you how to: Identify cases of infection by the zombie virus, Solanum, and recognize the hourly progression of symptoms: 'Hour 8: Numbing Of Extremities And Infected Area, Increased Fever [103-106 Degrees], Increased Dementia, Loss Of Muscular Coordination'; choose the right weapon: 'A Section Of Lead Pipe Will Work For A Single Encounter But Is Too Heavy For Those On The Move'; defend your home: 'A Ten-Foot Cinder-Block Wall, Reinforced Wih Steel Rods And Filled With Concrete, Is The Safest Barrier In Both Class 1 And Class 2 Outbreaks'; and much more. Filled with helpful illustrations and a sample 'Outbreak Journal' that should be kept on your person at all times, The Zombie Survival Guide is the only guide you will need to survive a most certain pandemic. 'Ignorance is the undead's strongest ally, knowledge their deadliest enemy,' Brooks writes. 'Personal choice, the will to live, must be paramount when the dead begin to rise. The choice is up to you.'

This was a good laugh to read if you want something light, easy and entertaining. Its basically a for dummies guide on what to do if an outbreak of brain eating occured :) Grabbed this the minute I finished World War Z as I was hungry for more and wasn't dissapointed. I say light btw as I found this to be a clever yet "WTF hes thought of everything" so I was giggling while reading parts. He really has thought of everything in this lil guide.

Advertisement