Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Kay in the Odyssey Arena, Belfast (03/12/10 - 05/12/10)

Options
  • 01-12-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah.. while I'd agree his latest efforts in TV haven't been great, he's still very funny in interviews and this is his first stand-up tour in 6 years.

Tickets are a bit pricey at £38 however.

See here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

£38? No ta!

Did anyone see him on Children in Need - he actually had the cheek to plug his Manchester gigs going on sale the next day!

He was an alright stand-up but let's face it, his funniest work was written with Dave Spikey and I don't think he'll ever come close to the success of Phoenix Nights again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

personally, I wouldn't go if you gave me a free ticket.

Don't find him funny

• Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭Basq

eth0_ wrote: »
    Did anyone see him on Children in Need - he actually had the cheek to plug his Manchester gigs going on sale the next day!
    Didn't know that.. fairly lousy. But he did say he'd donate a £1 from each piece of charity merchandise sold to Children in Need. Probably be overpriced anyways though..!
    He was an alright stand-up but let's face it, his funniest work was written with Dave Spikey and I don't think he'll ever come close to the success of Phoenix Nights again.
    Let's not forget Neil Fitzmaurice.. but yes, 'Phoenix Nights' will never be topped. Big thread detailing that exact sentiment over on the Television forum.

I think he's a superb stand-up.. his 'Top Of The Tower' and 'Live at Bolton Albert Halls' are immensely rewatchable.. although I've a feeling his new tour will either make or break him.
    Devastator wrote: »
    personally, I wouldn't go if you gave me a free ticket.

Don't find him funny
    Yeah, not for everyone.

But he is very popular.. his first 4 dates in Manchester on this new tour sold out in just over 2 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Do you remember when you were a kid.......

oooh do you remember..........

ooohhh aaaahh life was good then..........

Seems like a decent sort, wish him all the best but not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I didnt even know he was touring again till bout ten this morning :p was total fluke i found it on ticketmaster just browsing.

Got me 3 tickets though bang on in there one the first right at 11 when they went on sale :D cant fecking wait.

On side note nearly had a stroke gettin tickets lol i usually pay with laser card on ticketmaster have me details all saved on there site no bother but when i was buying these they feckin tell you at the last minute that its only visa mastercard i swear i nearly flipped :eek::eek::eek:

Rang first person i could think of with a credit card good auld ma :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

The g/friend organised tickets this morning for me as part of my Xmas present... :D Happy Days

Peter Kay is a brill family comedian... You cant compare him to Tommy, Billy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I cant wait just its this time next fecking year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

"Peter Kay sold 400,000 tickets in just three hours today, making him the fastest-selling live comedy act ever."

Scary to think there are 400,000 Kay fans out there...grow a brain, people - "Oooh aint it funny when ya mam rings and leaves a message saying 'Peter...this is mam'". No. No it's not.

Regarding the Children in Need thing...i'm sure he'll sell a lot of merch, but there are loads of comedians out there who give ALL the proceeds of gigs to charity. Hell, even Jimmy Carr does this on occasion.

No wonder Peter Kay is universally hated by stand-ups - he's a money grabbing piece of &^*%!

Scary to think there are 400,000 Kay fans out there...grow a brain, people
    Bit harsh just because he's not your cup of tea.. I'm sure he'll get a lot more fans after his appearance on The Late Late this evening.
    Regarding the Children in Need thing...i'm sure he'll sell a lot of merch, but there are loads of comedians out there who give ALL the proceeds of gigs to charity. Hell, even Jimmy Carr does this on occasion.
    Peter Kay spent 2 years trying to get that "Children In Need" video made.. and acted as executive producer. He'd to make phone-calls to various celebrities to get them to do voices.

He's done something for "Children In Need" every year as far as I can remember... and he raised a lot of money.
    No wonder Peter Kay is universally hated by stand-ups - he's a money grabbing piece of &^*%!
    Which stand-up's hate him? And if they do, more power to him.. the fact he's making sh*t-load's of money probably leaves a bitter taste in their mouth.

But i suppose their stand-up's do it for the crowd.. and the enjoyment of stand-up. Me balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

"Peter Kay sold 400,000 tickets in just three hours today, making him the fastest-selling live comedy act ever."

Scary to think there are 400,000 Kay fans out there...grow a brain, people - "Oooh aint it funny when ya mam rings and leaves a message saying 'Peter...this is mam'". No. No it's not.

How do you know this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

basquille wrote: »

Peter Kay spent 2 years trying to get that "Children In Need" video made.. and acted as executive producer. He'd to make phone-calls to various celebrities to get them to do voices.

He's done something for "Children In Need" every year as far as I can remember... and he raised a lot of money.

I bought a 40p bun in a bake sale for last children inneed......don't see anyone on here sticking u for me :eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Scary to think there are 400,000 Kay fans out there...

But you have to deduct the scummy barstewards who bought the maximum 8 tickets each to flog on ebay at highly inflated prices. One cnut in particular who had 2 tickets with a Buy It Now price of something like £530 last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 IanPerth

Yea most comedians I speak to don't like him as a stand up, so its just as well stand ups are not his target audience! The general public are the people he's looking to buy his tickets.

Many Comedians don't like him because his stuff is quite simple & you can pretty much see the punch line coming if you think in 'that' way.
    On the other hand you have to appreciate that apparently the comedy world is very competitive, people get very envious of success & its apparently one of the most ''bitchy'' working environments you could be in.

I've noticed SOME comedians In Dublin watching their own colleagues/'friends' on stage & you can almost feel them willing them to do badly.... and then if it goes well they either offer a begrudging well done/or ignore them when they come off stage. Its pretty pathetic, but apparently its just the way some comics are .... they resent others ''success''. Of course there ARE some comics who genuinely don't enjoy his stuff, but then there are those who will get jealous of a guy who can sell millions of tickets in such a short time, and then they will find any angle to express their veiled envy in his direction, these people are generally 'anti' anything that is 'popular' and not conected to them!

I was at the filming of 'The Panel' last year and before the show Ed Byrne announced to the audience that, in his opinion Peter Kay ''..was an over rated c***.. '' {The crowd were stunned into silence}

IMHO there is no doubt he is very talented (Pheonix nights alone proved this)

Personally I'm a big fan of Kays stand up, its great to throw his DVD on over christmas and not mind if your Mother or Young nephews drop in ..... But i accept he's not for everyone !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

IanPerth wrote: »
    Yea most comedians I speak to don't like him as a stand up, so its just as well stand ups are not his target audience! The general public are the people he's looking to buy his tickets.

Many Comedians don't like him because his stuff is quite simple & you can pretty much see the punch line coming if you think in 'that' way.
    Same for most things

If you like hollywood blockbusters NEVER read a book on scriptwriting or watch the favourite indie films of the blockbuster directors you like

People who are really into their tunes wont listen to most chart music

and anyone who is really into their humour will see yer average mainstream punchline a mile off
    Just depends if your happy to see the punchline coming or not

*If i was Peter Kay id take Ed Byrne not liking me as a complement :p

Ed Byrne is a tosser and very unfunny!

Got 2 tickets to the Saturday night show in Dublin anyways.

Has Ed Byrne managed to sell out 20 nights in under an hour?

Advertisement