Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook - Audio Recording

Options
  • 01-12-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I recently got a MacBook (The newest Mid-2009 one) for audio and college work. I noted when I bought it the lack of a line in but put that aside. I haven't really thought about it til now, but can you record on the line out? Now, I know that sounds stupid but I remember reading yonks ago that you could i.e. Mac were clever and did away with the port in favour of a single in/out audio port. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that?

I'm probably wrong and if so, whats the cheapest way to record on a MacBook? (Obviously not using the integrated mic) I'd like decent audio but no need for studio expense.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭srmufc

Use Audacity(free online) and the port beside the headphones...works perfectly for me.

Jack to jack cable required to hook mixer to laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

That's the thing, new MacBooks have no second port (I.e. No line in)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

It describes the port on the new ones as an 'audio in/out' so I'm sure you can treat it as a normal audio in.

P.S those new Macbooks are beautiful...all curvy and shit...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Surprisily this works. In System Preferences you can select the job you want the line out to perform. i.e. It can record or be used as a headphone socket.

I almost bought a USB Sound Card earlier, so I saved myself about €50 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

ye audio on a macbook is a bit weird - but great when you figure it out

• Advertisement
Advertisement