Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Question

Options
  • 01-12-2009 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm working on a job in the UK for 6 months starting next January.

I'll be staying in a hotel for the 6 months.

If I bought a car over there could I avoid VRT when I bring it back, as technically I would have been resident in the UK for 6 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Will you be paying UK tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭djayforza

yeah im pretty sure thats the way it works
    there are a few conditions
    be there for at least 6 months
    not being a student

my advice is keep all your bills and payslips and anything addressed to you while your living in the UK.
    just to let you know when or if you get it imported vrt free you have to own if for a year before you can sell it.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Anan1 wrote: »
    Will you be paying UK tax?

No I'll be paying Irish tax.
    djayforza wrote: »
    yeah im pretty sure thats the way it works
    there are a few conditions
    be there for at least 6 months
    not being a student

my advice is keep all your bills and payslips and anything addressed to you while your living in the UK.
    just to let you know when or if you get it imported vrt free you have to own if for a year before you can sell it.
    hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. I'd be buying a car for my own use - wouldn't intend on selling it so that wouldn't be a problem.

Off to autotrader I go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You cannot. If you were normally resident abroad then you could import a car which you had owned for 6 months. But being out of Ireland for only 6 months while paying Irish tax on a task of definite duration means that you remain normally resident here and so the question of moving from abroad does not arise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm also inclined to think a hotel would not be acceptable as a place of "residence" for VRT purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

jamieh wrote: »
    In that case I would think you'll still be seen as an ROI resident. Best ring the VRO to be sure, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

jamieh wrote: »

Your residence status for tax purposes is determined by the number of days that you are present in Ireland in a tax year. You will be resident in Ireland for a tax year in either of the following circumstances:

* If you spend 183 days or more in Ireland during a tax year or,
    * If you spend 280 days or more in Ireland over a period of two consecutive tax years, you will be regarded as resident for the second tax year. For example, if you spend 140 days here in Year 1 and 150 days here in Year 2, you will be resident in Ireland for Year 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

When I brought back a car, many years ago (1997) they were pretty indepth in checking all the documents. I had different circumstances in that I lived for 18mths and had an address etc. But they looked for payslips, P60's, letter from employer in Ireland that I was starting, letter from employer in the UK that I was leaving etc. Back in 1997 VRT was pretty new, so I would imagine they have refined it a lot now, for instance they can 'look you up' using your RSI number, so they would know if you were on 'the books of your employer' here. I would say 2 things:-

1) You need an address in the UK
    2) You need to be paying taxes over there from employment.

Advertisement