Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

regulations on slingshots

Options
  • 01-12-2009 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hope i have the right section here, wasn't sure where to post this.
    Does anyone know if slingshots/catapults are regulated in ireland? Ive heard that wrist supported slingshots are banned in germany. Im thinking of importing one from england, will it get through or what?
    Cheers:)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If they're not banned, they should be. In irresponsible hands they are responsible for vandalisation and cruelty to animals. They serve no useful purpose that can't be done in other ways, regulated ways.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

greysides wrote: »
    If they're not banned, they should be. In irresponsible hands they are responsible for vandalisation and cruelty to animals. They serve no useful purpose that can't be done in other ways, regulated ways.

Is this not the kind of thinking your local superintendent uses when turning down your firearms licence application?:eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

yes, archery, why would you want to do that? Airsoft? Guns? Arrows? Compound bows? What's all that stuff then,.......must be up to no good all that crowd. They want to do what? Shoot things? are yez all mad or wa?

Above quote from Mrs M O"brien neighbour of mine. Does the grey lad have a bow and arrows?
    Was just asking a civil question, there's no need for that sort of aggression.:)
    Anybody with helpful advice to add?
    Thaks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Going back a few years they were quite popular with youngsters where I grew up. But what were they used for? There's no competitions for them that I know of. They were used to shoot at cats and dogs, birds, windows and other children. I see no need for them.

Firearms are needed for pest control and have a sporting use where their use is subject to safety rules.

If you wish to import catapults for competition I see nothing wrong with that.... controlled use, controlled environment.

If you wish to import them commercially to sell to youngsters as a 'toy' then I don't think they should be allowed.

This is my opinion... no aggression implied. We may agree to disagree.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Well i have to agree with you greysides now that you've restated/clarified your position. Definitely wrong to be putting youngsters up to no good and selling them dangerous things. I remember where I grew up in the 60s the local bullies used to make bows and arrows out of trees and fishing line. These were of course used on cats and other small animals, windows, etc. Aren't youngsters just awful...
    Anyway, back to my question, im not in the selling businness, I want to get one for my own, sensible, use? Anybody know if i import one will it be confiscated or are certain kinds allowed?
    Thanks in advance all:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

I'd say ask the airsoft/paintball people. Might have a bit more info.

thanks ruiner wil try it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I would imagine it would be much the same as owning a bow - as long as you use it responsibly for its intended purpose you should have no trouble.

:)
    Thanks to all contributors. The final consensus is that there is no regulation of slingshots of any kind - people tell me they have imported them without problem. Like bows and carving knifes we are trusted to behave sensibly and as long as we do there wont be a problem. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

They are legal here and if you search through parliamentary question you'll find reference to them as being mearly toys!!

They are allowed here because the gov believe that they are an inefficient device and pose no real danger!!

I for one see no harm in them but i have not be at the receiving end of ant .38cal ammo!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Thanks Ivanthehunter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Sorry, been away for a while.

To be honest I'm not supposed to host threads not releated to archery here.

I'll leave it up but will close it - hope you got the info you needed, feel free to PM me or any posters about slingshots

Mod.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement