Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car losing power anyone help?

Options
  • 01-12-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

recently my car (oo punto) seems to be losing power every few seconds driving along..especialy coming up hillls. the car has been no trouble up to now has anyone got any idea what it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

is it reving unusually? Like when you try to take off it revs up first and then the engine will engage (if that makes sense?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Hmmm...clutch?
    If you put your foot down onto accelerator when you're driving up a hill say, does the engine sound like it is revving louder, but the car isn't picking up speed. If so I'd say your clutch is knackered.
    Not pricey though to change on Puntos, so you're alright...there'll still be turkey on the table this Christmas:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mark000

no clutch is fine.. the power cuts out wen im on d accelorator and comes back again..also when stoped the revs are a bit jumpy and the car nearly conks out..would changing the spark plugs solve that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

could possibly be the coil pack. Had a very similar problem on my 01 Bravo. Get it checked out in a garage, they will tell you straight off. Is you engine mgmt light coming on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

My best guess would be low fuel pressure (pump/filter on the way out). Could possibly be air supply too -have you checked/changed the air filter recently?

• Advertisement

a buddy of mine told me change the airfilter and see how it goes and iv done that 2 days ago hasnt made any difference? does is sound lik a big problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

are you winding it up properly when starting it ? :pac::pac::pac:

ah no seriously now it sounds like its misfiring, ignition cables or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Air flow meter possibly. Best get a diagnosis done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Sounds like it could be the lambda probe thats screwed into the exhaust, had a Cinq Sporting that would lose power for second or two and then pick up again and it was the probe, could be a coil pack but the car would be down on power all the time.

Blue850 wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be the lambda probe thats screwed into the exhaust, had a Cinq Sporting that would lose power for second or two and then pick up again and it was the probe, could be a coil pack but the car would be down on power all the time.

sound lik i could give the exhaust thingy a try.. how much does it cost to replace that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement