Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable testers

Options
  • 01-12-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I need to cut some cables to specific lengths for my home network. So I'm looking for recommendations for cable testers (and crimpers for that matter, but a decent cable tester is what I really need). Do you need a special type of tester to test Cat6 cables?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Finally ended up with one of these after going through a couple of cheap models. Find it excellent.

http://www.actmeters.com/NETcat-Pro.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Did you buy it off that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Look good. But that's a bit outside my price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Bought a lot of test gear off them, they are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

A lot of cabelers will rent out testers by the day if they are not too busy.

If the runs are realy short and you want a very very very basic test, Connect both ends of the cable into ports on a switch & they BOTH should light up (if the switch does not do auto crossover you might have to put one end into the X port). So if you have two cables running to the kitchen, join both with a patch lead and connect both the wiring closet ends into the switch.

Login to your switch/router and watch for LAN errors, on a small network they should be very rare, aby regular incerases in error counts would point to a problem.

Hope this is of some help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Why do you need a cable tester at all? If the wiring is done correctly, the no tester needed. A tester is only needed if you suspect a fault.

Yeah, it could just be overkill. I could just do what iarann recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Why do you need a cable tester at all? If the wiring is done correctly, the no tester needed. A tester is only needed if you suspect a fault.

A cable might pass a simple light test, but if over crimped it may not pass Cat 6. It is really important that your patch cords are of really good quality. Remember the network is onl as good as its weakest part. I would suggest you purchase the cords to the nearest lenght you require. Do not try and make them yourself. They will not meet Cat 6.

You can rent testers of Temple Sales in Dublin if you want to verify your network is Cat 6 compliant.

thegen wrote: »
    A cable might pass a simple light test, but if over crimped it may not pass Cat 6. It is really important that your patch cords are of really good quality. Remember the network is onl as good as its weakest part. I would suggest you purchase the cords to the nearest lenght you require. Do not try and make them yourself. They will not meet Cat 6.

You can rent testers of Temple Sales in Dublin if you want to verify your network is Cat 6 compliant.

That approach probably makes more sense all right. But I am curious to know why it wouldn't be possible to meet Cat 6 standards by making the cables manually with a crimper?

That approach probably makes more sense all right. But I am curious to know why it wouldn't be possible to meet Cat 6 standards by making the cables manually with a crimper?

These cables must be manufactured in a factory. Home made patch cords will not meet the standards. ISO11801 which is the standards that is referred to in cabling circles does not allow for field termination of patch cords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

If it's a home network, it doesn't need to pass Cat6 according to ISO11801.
    Cat-6 is expected to be able to carry 10GB and can certainly carry 1GB.
    Cat-5e was expected to be able to carry 100MB but can carry 1GB.

If you want to get a certified Cat-6 network then go ahead.
    Don't forget you'll also need a 10GB switch (€€€€€!) Here's a 12 port for 10 grand. http://www.small-tree.com/Fujitsu_12_port_L2_L4_10_Gigabit_Ethernet_Switch_p/xg700.htm

Total overkill for a home network.

The most I would need would be Cat 5e standard. I have a gigabit ethernet switch for my network. So once it doesn't create any major performance problems, I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

If it is to run a basic test to check that the 4 pairs are active. And the cable is active and such wonderful things. I personally just a basic 4 pair tester from maplins cost me €18.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99067

Obviously for wire maps and certification of the cables then yeah I would use a high end cable tester.

But that is just me

Sleipnir wrote: »
    If it's a home network, it doesn't need to pass Cat6 according to ISO11801.
    Cat-6 is expected to be able to carry 10GB and can certainly carry 1GB.
    Cat-5e was expected to be able to carry 100MB but can carry 1GB.

If you want to get a certified Cat-6 network then go ahead.
    Don't forget you'll also need a 10GB switch (€€€€€!) Here's a 12 port for 10 grand. http://www.small-tree.com/Fujitsu_12_port_L2_L4_10_Gigabit_Ethernet_Switch_p/xg700.htm

Total overkill for a home network.

The standards state that Cat 6 will work to 10 g at something like 12mtrs in total length. They also state that Cat 5e will work to 1gb at 100mtrs. I have a Cat 6 network installed in my house but only a 100mbt switch. I had the opportunity to cable the house as I was doing a complete refit and futureproofed as much as I could. Now I could have gone for a Cat 6a a system that would have been total overkill. OP you can use Cat5e leads off the shelf which are only about 1.50 each and achieve a really good quality network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Gigabit_Ethernet
    10GBASE-T will work up to 55 m (180 ft) with existing Cat 6 cabling and up to 45 m (148 ft) with existing Cat 5e cabling.

Where is your god now, Cat 6 fanbois? I always had a suspicion that Cat 6 was a scam by the cable manufacturers to sell a higher margin product with no practical benefits. They already tried it with "350 MHz":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5e_cable
    The 350 MHz term started a couple of years before the arrival of Category 6 cable by the Belden Electronics Division and promised better performance. Although the performance of this new 350 MHz cable was slightly better it was an easy way to sell the consumer on future proofing their needs while charging around 15% more and leading to a higher margin on the 350 MHz cable than the standard 5e cable. Soon after many other manufactures also offered a 350 MHz cable and followed the trend of an easy way to add to a higher margin.

Snowbat wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Gigabit_Ethernet

Where is your god now, Cat 6 fanbois? I always had a suspicion that Cat 6 was a scam by the cable manufacturers to sell a higher margin product with no practical benefits. They already tried it with "350 MHz":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5e_cable

Wiki is a great source. Try the standards next time. 10g will not run on 5e and has a limited distance on Cat 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Snowbat wrote: »

Apologies. Was of the impression 10g was only available on Cat 6 or Cat 6a.

Advertisement