Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator problem

Options
  • 01-12-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi All,

2 hours after we put our heating on constant our three radiators down stairs stop working and dont usual work again until a few hours or the next day. All up stairs continue to work fine. I asked in our local diy store but they have said the rads have a termostat on each individual one. I checked this when i got home but they haven't got a stat on each one. The house is 1.5 years old. I dont really know much about these kind of things so any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Pete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Sounds like you have a thermostat on the wall somewhere downstairs. When the temperature in the area around the stat rises to whatever the stat is set to, it shuts off the downstairs circuit - or maybe just the circulating pump.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

Cheers James.
    We have a thermostat in the sitting room but the light doesnt go off on it when the rads go.
    I think i'll call in a plumbing company over the weekend.
    Just wanted to see if anyone knew here first.

Thank you,
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭FibbersON

If I was you I'd try turning off all the Rads that work, leave only the 3 not working on. It could be a lack of pressure pushing water to the last 3. if it works half open the others and you could be ok.

I had a similar problem and an old school plumber told me that. It ended up not working for me and th pipe was just fecked going into the radiator so I had to replace that.

Peteemax wrote: »
    Cheers James.
    We have a thermostat in the sitting room but the light doesnt go off on it when the rads go.
    I think i'll call in a plumbing company over the weekend.
    Just wanted to see if anyone knew here first.

Thank you,
    Pete

Does the light go on and off when you turn the stat up and down (listen for the click). Make sure that when the rads go off that the stat is set above the click.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

Cheers Fibbers.
    Im not sure james i will try it later.
    We have a stat down stairs and up stairs.

• Advertisement

The obvious reason for the rads shutting off is that the downstairs stat is closing a motorised valve when the heating has been on for a while and it reaches the set temperature. Of course without seeing the system, it is hard to tell - it could be something else entirely :confused:
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DS Plumbing

If the room stat is working then Look in the hotpress for a motorised valve and set the valve to manual and this will solve the problem

Advertisement