Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring an Irish Car in the UK

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Im moving to London in january and was wondering if anybody new of A) an irish insurance company that would cover me in the uk, or B) a UK insurance company that would insure an irish registered car.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sell it here. Buy a much better car over there. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Sell it here. Buy a much better car over there. Sorted.

this is a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrsmaths

Hi there

I did this. I insured with Quinn Insurance :)

Good luck with the move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Better to sell it here but you can UK reg it for £50 and if you decide to ever bring it back to Ireland the car will retain its old Irish number without paying VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Better to sell it here but you can UK reg it for £50 and if you decide to ever bring it back to Ireland the car will retain its old Irish number without paying VRT.

This is probably the most hassle but it is the most correct way of doing it.

If you can sell the car before you go & pick up something nicer or newer (or same but cheaper) when you go over there that is a better plan. If you are over there for a year & want to bring the car home you can do so VRT free. A friend of mine did somethi similar, they bought a new RHD Merc in Brussels while they were working over there & brought it home with then 18 months later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Kingcalumn wrote: »
    Im moving to London in january and was wondering if anybody new of A) an irish insurance company that would cover me in the uk, or B) a UK insurance company that would insure an irish registered car.

Why are you taking the car? Are you only going to be in the UK for a short period of time? You can drive a non-UK car in UK for up to six months if you are not resident.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_10014623
    It is the responsibility for the driver to prove how long the vehicle has been in the country. This can be done by producing ferry tickets.

EU vehicles brought into the UK will be allowed to be used freely for six months in any 12-month period without the need to register in the UK, provided the vehicle complies with the requirements of its home country. Where the keeper of the vehicle becomes resident in this country, the vehicle must be immediately registered and licensed in the UK. UK residents are not allowed to use a foreign registered vehicle on UK roads.

Certain vehicles will be required to display a temporary 'Q' plate. Temporary visitor status isn't appropriate to these vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Kingcalumn

I dont know if IM staying beyond the 6 months, so Im reluctant to register it there, but if its true that I can re register it here when I come back, I think I may opt for that. I rang quinn, they will get me a quote tomorrow, but they are far more expensive than other uk insurers for me, but I might do it for 6 months to save on the tax etc

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Hi KC

Registering the car in the UK can be a pain - I just did it for the wifes car. We had to cancel our insurance in Ireland, get whats called chassis insurance on the imported car in the UK - which means you can only drive it to get it registered and MOT'd. Then can you get it insured proper in the UK. Plus to register it we needed to get a cert sent from Citroen to say the car was up to UK standards (even though it is a 2005 right hand drive etc.) Took about two weeks to get it sorted. It was a right pain.

Either get insurance from Ireland or sell it.

Sneaky

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Kingcalumn

I have 30 days driving in the EU. Also, m y car was actually originally registered in the UK by the previous owner, Im trying to get the old reg plates reinstated.

Advertisement