Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car respray questions

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

here's the crack. i have an '03 focus that used to be an unmarked garda car. the car runs grand, but the paintwork isn't the best. lots of little dings/scrapes on the roof from (i reckon) speed cameras and such, and over all the car looks a bit rough.

i don't much care about the look of the thing as it mainly sits in the driveway, but in the last month the passanger side mirror was knocked off while it was parked, and this morning the side got a minor scrape as herself tried to get through a tight spot.

so, my questions:

- does it sound like it needs a full respray? and if so;
    - can i get it resprayed for under a grand?
    - anybody ever gone north for car bodywork?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

tbm wrote: »
    so, my questions:

1. Difficult to tell without pics.
    2. No, at least not to any reasonable standard. Car has to be almost taken apart to do a good job.
    3. It's your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

tbm wrote: »
    here's the crack. i have an '03 focus that used to be an unmarked garda car. the car runs grand, but the paintwork isn't the best. lots of little dings/scrapes on the roof from (i reckon) speed cameras and such, and over all the car looks a bit rough.

i don't much care about the look of the thing as it mainly sits in the driveway, but in the last month the passanger side mirror was knocked off while it was parked, and this morning the side got a minor scrape as herself tried to get through a tight spot.

so, my questions:

Yes

Not much hope, and you'll never get the money spent back on it as it's an ex Garda car so no one will buy it off you for decent money. If your worried about it looking rough you could get a cheap job done, but it could end up worst then now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mfays

If your not to concerned about the look of the car they I would not recommend a full respray-There are plenty of guys would do a reasonable job for a reasonable price just to tidy it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mfays

It will always be recorded as a Garda car as well-so even if it looks great it will not be worth what a private model is worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

mfays wrote: »
    It will always be recorded as a Garda car as well-so even if it looks great it will not be worth what a private model is worth.

The car is worth feck all so no point in throwing money at it that you'll never get back. Theres no way you'd get a full re-spray for under a grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

as stated by others ,your car may not be worth getting a paint job.

i disagree with others. A while back you would not get a full paint job for a grand. you will now, especially for cash.

paint is cheaper, so is labour.

rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭tbm

thanks all.

i paid feck all for it, so i'm not really concered about resale value. if i could spend a bit on it so its not looking totally shabby then i'll be happy. a reasonable job for a reasonablre price is what i'm after.

is there a northern irish online directory for all things car related? just to focus my search.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

rugbyman wrote: »
    paint is cheaper

Please point me to this cheaper paint. I could do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Stick with the Rat-Look. It suits the times we are in perfectly.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

rugbyman wrote: »
    as stated by others ,your car may not be worth getting a paint job.

i disagree with others. A while back you would not get a full paint job for a grand. you will now, especially for cash.

paint is cheaper, so is labour.

rugbyman

sorry but cheap paint and cheap labour :eek:

will equal a crap looking car over time.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

robtri wrote: »
    sorry but cheap paint and cheap labour :eek:

will equal a crap looking car over time.....

QFT

You get what you pay for and a full respray on a car is a big job. Anyone doing it for a grand is cutting some corners and the car will look bad, maybe worst then now, within a short time.

Advertisement