Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leon: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) - €9.49 delivered [Play.com]

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭

I adore this film.. and this is an absolute bargain for the Blu-ray!

Don't know how the transfer is though. Will look it up before buying.

10137184x.jpg
    Buy it @ Play.com
    Special Features

* Director's And Theatrical Cuts - Director's cut available for the first time ever in the UK!
    * Leon - 10 Year Retrospective Featurette
    * Jean Reno: The Road To Leon - Featurette
    * Natalie Portman: Starting Young - Featurette

Review

Jean Reno (Mission: Impossible, Ronin, The Crimson Rivers), Gary Oldman (Sid And Nancy, Romeo Is Bleeding, The Dark Knight), Danny Aillo (Fingers, Do The Right Thing, A Brooklyn State Of Mind) and Natalie Portman (V For Vendetta, Goya's Ghost, Mars Attacks) in her film debut, all star in this highly influential, seminal 90s action/thriller.

Directed by Luc Besson (Subway, The Big Blue, Nikita, The Fifth Element), Leon is the controversial and unforgettable story of an unlikely friendship within a brutal and violent world. Twelve-year-old Mathilda lives within the desperate confines of a squalid New York apartment block. On returning from a shopping trip Mathilda finds that her abusive, dysfunctional family (and her beloved younger brother) have been slaughtered by a psychotic, drug dealing police officer. In fear of her life she takes refuge with her reluctant, mysterious and solitary neighbour. His name is Leon and he's one of the world's deadliest assassins. And while Mathilda begins to teach him how to live, Leon begins to teach her how to kill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Blu-ray review
    However, if you already own the disc on DVD, then the decision whether to upgrade is not as clear cut as it might have been. The AV on this disc is solid without being spectacular, and the advantages over upscaling DVD are not as massive as you might expect. However, the presence of both versions of the film on one disc, and the extras that have been created exclusively for this version are probably just about enough to make it a recommended upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I've never even seen this film before so I think i'll buy it, cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have read it is only slightly better picture than DVD but at that price and with the features I am biting.

Poor credit card.

Cheers.

Have it since the day it was released and while the visuals are'nt much of an upgrade the sound certainly is.

Have it since the day it was released and while the visuals are'nt much of an upgrade the sound certainly is.

Was the original dvd not Dolby Digital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

noodler wrote: »
    Was the original dvd not Dolby Digital?
    Probably was..

But uncompressed PCM sound on Blu-ray ftw!

basquille wrote: »
    Probably was..

But uncompressed PCM sound on Blu-ray ftw!

Almost certain only the German (steelbook version) has pcm. I believe the uk one only has 5.1 Dolby Digital.

http://www.amazon.de/L%C3%A9on-Profi-Ultimate-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B001CQFNHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1259681947&sr=8-1

"Sprache: Deutsch (DTS-HD 7.1), Englisch (DTS-HD 7.1)"

Actually the AV forums say the English version has:

DTS 5.1 HD Master Audio English

So I think I am wrong and it is just a 7.1/5.1 difference.

How much could you get a DTS 5.1 HD system for? I am only a beginner there. Was looking at a simple 5.1 Home Cinema setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Great price. I only ordered this the other day from amazon for about a tenner sterling :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Thats a Great price i paid over 25euro for the Steel Amazon.de version... Both Cuts on Blu rays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

I bought the US version which is region free and the upgrade is great with a DTS HD soundtrack. They call it Leon the Professional. Got it for 15 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

However, if you already own the disc on DVD, then the decision whether to upgrade is not as clear cut as it might have been.
    Depends what your DVD is like I suppose - the DVD copy I have of Leon is terrible, not even anamorphic.

So i'd consider any BD a massive improvement. I have the French version and I consider it a great transfer. If this is anywhere similar in picture and sound quality, i'd say its a good buy for €9.50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Depends what your DVD is like I suppose - the DVD copy I have of Leon is terrible, not even anamorphic.

Non-anamorphic transfers are a waste and a lazy option by studios. It just gives them another reason to make us double-dip when they eventually release the ultra-spectacular-super-duper-special-widescreen-collector's-edition and then triple-dip when they wish to release the director's cut of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

This film is one of my favs.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

anyone get this yet?
    how does Besson look in Blu Ray?

Advertisement