Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Article on watches from Guardian 2005

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was never a rolex lover I have to say. With a few exceptions. I like their background and all that, but they just never did if for me. I never like Breitlings either TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I wouldn't go for rolex myself but I can see why someone would, breitlings are another kettle of fish though, truly vile watches, nothing but a conspicuous display of money, I wouldn't be surprised if breitling wearers don't even bother to set the time.

Timekeeping is not the primary function of a breitling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Steady on there MooseJam :confused:
    I've had a few Breitlings myself and have found them to be excellent watches. Would definitely rank them above Omega in my experience. I know that there's a few diamond-bezeled monstrosities out there, but there's also the Airwolf, B2, Chrono Avenger, Skyland and many other genuinely top class models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

I've seen some nice Breitlings too.
    Back to the Rolex issue maybe "pig" was too strong a word but to me they are so ordinary looking, maybe this is the charm? But the name is definitely what sells them , I'm sure they are a great mechanism but wht the fuss? Just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Steady on there MooseJam :confused:
    I've had a few Breitlings myself and have found them to be excellent watches. Would definitely rank them above Omega in my experience. I know that there's a few diamond-bezeled monstrosities out there, but there's also the Airwolf, B2, Chrono Avenger, Skyland and many other genuinely top class models.

Maybe a bit over the top :) however even without diamonds most breitlings are mirror finish, it's actually difficult to read the time on some models they are so shiny. And whats the purpose of a mirror finish - it's to attract attention to yourself.

Whats attracting attention to yourself got to do with timekeeping.

Bling bling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think Breitlings are good watches with good movements. One of my issues with them is the aeronautical hype surrounding them. The navitimer is their lot aeronautically speaking and it had little enough of an impact. Rolex have a more aeronautical history, Longines would blow them away, hell even Cartier has a history there:)

The other issue for me is that I think their dials are too busy. That's not just them though to be fair.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I quite like the Breitling Superocean on the mesh bracelet, but as someone has said, the dials of most Breiltings are far too busy.

breitling-superocean-heritage-46-br7556.jpg

If I were to buy a Rolex it would be a GMT II Master with the Pepsi Dial. It was the personal choice of a lot of Apollo astronauts in the 60's and 70's.

2874385690048093991S425x425Q85.jpg

Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder it seems. I love a busy dial. In fact, most of my watches are chronographs... not a fan of plain dials. That's why I don't get the Panerai thing... with such a bare dial it really looks like it should be at least 20% smaller.

Oh its defo a personal thing alright. Personally I only like "plain" chronos. Then Im one of those who thinks a date is a bit flash. :D I agree re the Panerai though. Perfect for what they were originally designed for, scuba work in murky conditions, but look a bit empty at that size.

• Advertisement

Love my current one: B-2

DSCF3963.jpg

Advertisement