Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Phone Line

Options
  • 01-12-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

I'm currently living in an apartment where there is one phone line which I use for broadband, telephone etc.

The problem I have is that this phone line is located just inside the front door so I have my router sitting just as you enter the apartment, which is also three walls away from my computers.

I'm looking to get a second phone line installed in the living room so that I can use wired internet and also not have to step over the damn router every time I enter the apartment.

Now I don't know if this is a stupid question but how do I go about doing this? Do I need an electrician to do it for me? Does anyone know someone that can do a good job of this? How much will it cost? Are there usually any difficulties with the new location of the phone line or can I put it wherever I like?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

it doesnt sound to me like you need a 2nd phone line. just get the phone line extended in your apartment... you can get it extended into the living room and use your router (wireless?) to connect your pc.

eircom or who ever supplies your phone probably offer doing extensions or im sure an electrician can do it... its not that hard atall if you are any way electrically inclined. pick up the extension kits in maplins and set aside an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A 2nd phone line would be installed in the exact same place as the first one anyway. Run an extension off the phone socket, or pay someone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Just to clarify - when I say second phone line I guess I mean second phone socket? I'm not looking for another number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

It's a really simple job to be honest.
    Depends on the lay out of your place, and how comfortable you are with doing the work yourself.

The cheapest way to do it would be to simply run a telephone cable from the point that's there, to wherever you want the modem.
    You can buy long lenghts of phone cable for next to nothing.
    You can even buy ready made cables that have a phone connecter on one end, and a port on the other.
    It's basically like an extension cord for your phone port!
    you plug one end into your existing point, lay the cable as you want it, and then plug the modem into the connection at the end.

It's all down to whether you're happy with the phone cable running from the point to where you want the modem, or your own ability to disguise it, or tack it discretely.

If you don't want to do it yourself, any electrician would be able to do so for you.
    As would your line provider most likely, but I'd imagine the electrician would be cheaper.

It's a line relocation you'd want, more so than a second line.

Advertisement