Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ext Hard Drive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Spotted these in Easons Liffey Valley the other day
    1.5TB for €109

***EDIT***

Just remembered they had lots of smaller Seagate drives also. Checked the site and found they have a 1TB for €79

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Check this thread out. Western Digital are the best in the market IMO.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055753668

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

I bought a Western Digital 1TB from Komplett.ie for €75 and if you can collect it in Blanchardstown you dont have to pay for delivery. I ordered mine friday morning and collected monday.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=572846

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

WD 1TB for €89.99 in PC World, Mahon Point, Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

IRCA wrote: »
    WD 1TB for €89.99 in PC World, Mahon Point, Cork

Yip, picked this exact one up last nite in PC World

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Lucifer wrote: »
    I bought a Western Digital 1TB from Komplett.ie for €75 and if you can collect it in Blanchardstown you dont have to pay for delivery. I ordered mine friday morning and collected monday.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=572846

did the same last monday, should get the text any day now to pick it up.

bought one of these a few months ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

If it's for a work laptop then I'd recommend getting a 2.5" drive. They're much smaller, portable and most of them do not require an additional power supply but will simply run off the USB ports on your laptop. Much handier than lugging a 3.5" ext hard drive and plug around with you.

I'd also recommend WD drives. The passport range is the 2.5" range I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

GStormcrow wrote: »
    If it's for a work laptop then I'd recommend getting a 2.5" drive. They're much smaller, portable and most of them do not require an additional power supply but will simply run off the USB ports on your laptop. Much handier than lugging a 3.5" ext hard drive and plug around with you.

I'd also recommend WD drives. The passport range is the 2.5" range I think
    I have become wary of the USB powered drives - the build seems a little flimsy, especially the USB connector itself if PCB mounted - I have had one break off the PCB - inevitably if you lug it around with a laptop it will be jerked by its USB lead, stuffed into satchels and sat on etc. For pure backup purposes I think a 1TB sitting on a shelf at home used once a week to backup from the laptop would be better, and in that case you might as well go for a more rugged, and faster, and cheaper mains-powered one. WD, Samsung, Hitachi maybe Seagate in my opinion - avoid anything by Iomega!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

I thought Play wont deliver electronics here ,i tried to order this and it said cannot deliver to Ireland only Uk .Is there a way around it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

shardylan wrote: »
    I thought Play wont deliver electronics here ,i tried to order this and it said cannot deliver to Ireland only Uk .Is there a way around it

You thought right! They don't, and AFAIK there is no way around it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I was looking at picking up a couple of these or similar for Christmas presents. Looking at recent comments on Amazon UK, it looks like WD have redesigned the latest batch and people are having trouble with
    the USB port on them.

Mymemory.co.uk and Amazon UK are also good for prices on these or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Aldi have a portable drive coming up soon for €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Is there much of a difference in brands seagate and western digital?

Can you advise me what product i should get?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansions-500GB-External-Desktop/dp/B0020FVKO8/ref=pd_sim_ce_5

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002COI612

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

degsie wrote: »
    Aldi have a portable drive coming up soon for €70.

Does that need a plug or does it run off the usb?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

reeds of nassau st were advertising a 1TB on the radio tonight for 79 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

kinkstr wrote: »

Doubt it, an AC Adapter would have been mentioned on the product page if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

kinkstr wrote: »

2.5" drives don't an ac adapter.

3.5" do generally(may be able to get some which run from two usb ports)

Advertisement