Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Timer

Options
  • 01-12-2009 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I am going to go looking for a used car through auto trader next weekend and was just looking for a few pointers of things to do and things to look out for / avoid.
    I am based in the north and I would like to spend somewhere in the region of £1-2k.
    This is the first time I will be buying a car and I am not the most mechanically minded so I would just like a few helpful tips.
    Auto Trader have a checklist on their website of things to look for and it looks to be quite useful.

Thanks a million in advance guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭John-Holmes

Hi guys.
    This is just a bump.
    Any suggestions would be welcome for this novice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For first car, my 2 cents:
    1. Buy small and cheap.
    2. Look at everything: press all buttons, pull at all seatbelts, open all lids and look underneath.
    3. Look at engine. Is there oil on it? Why? Is it washed, why was it dirty?
    4. Look in wheel arches and door sills for rust.

Take it for a long drive from cold. Start it while bonnet is open and listen a good few minutes for rattles etc.

Thanks for that magnus.
    Small and cheap seems to be a safe bet. I got a quote today for 2002 1.6 Astra. £1.4k.
    Jesus it is bringing a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you go small and cheap you'll hopefully get a car that won't have too many things that can go wrong with it and if they do, it'll be easier and cheaper to fix.
    Go with cars that others have. This way they can help you with it, also there will be plenty of spare parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

I got a quote today for 2002 1.6 Astra. £1.4k.

My dad has one, Worst car he ever bought, had it 2 or 3 years, got it 2nd hand and now it needs a whole new engine.

Opel/Vauxhall are so unreliable IMO.

• Advertisement

My dad has one, Worst car he ever bought, had it 2 or 3 years, got it 2nd hand and now it needs a whole new engine.

Opel/Vauxhall are so unreliable IMO.

Thanks for that WillyWonkaBar. I was looking at getting a 01-02 Golf but they have while high miles. Then the ones that don't have high miles you are instantly suspicious of in case some one was tinkering where they shouldn't have been lol.
    Just out of interest what would you suggest? Something relatively cheap and not to sore on the red diesel :eek:

Advertisement