Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it illegal to drive with a cracked bumper??

Options
  • 01-12-2009 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

I just picked up a hire car yesterday and the front bumper is split revealing a jagged edge. Is it illegal to drive a car that has this sort of damage??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It becomes illegal as soon as some busybody could find a danger to pedestrian safety in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It would fail the NCT but that does not make it illegal. Put on a plaster and bring it back saying you cut yourself on it whilst washing it for them because you don't like bringing stuff back dirty.

Kerching! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

peasant wrote: »
    It becomes illegal as soon as some busybody could find a danger to pedestrian safety in it.

That what I was thinking. I might have the car for a few weeks so was wondering should I speak up now and get it replaced on these grounds :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    That what I was wondering. I might have the car for a few weeks so was wondering to speak up now and get it replaced on these grounds :confused:

Definately. Was this on their check sheet when you took the car?

They might assume you caused the damage. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Did you point the cracked bumper out when ya picked it up? If not they could end up charging ya :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

The damage was noted on their sheet along with all the rest and some missed which I highlighted. Its an 08 Vectra with only 30k on it but it has been fairly abused.

The standard of hire cars in Ireland is atrocious I've found. Last year my brother was over from France and he got an 07 Golf at Dublin airport, the car had over 125k on the clock and all 4 tyres were different budget brands of different thread depth :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The standard of hire cars in Ireland is atrocious I've found. Last year my brother was over from France and he got an 07 Golf at Dublin airport, the car had over 125k on the clock and all 4 tyres were different budget brands of different thread depth :eek:

I've had to return nearly every hire car I've had in the US, some where downright dangerous. All where new or nearly new. It's not just here that has crap hire cars and these where all before the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I just picked up a hire car yesterday and the front bumper is split revealing a jagged edge. Is it illegal to drive a car that has this sort of damage??

Why didnt you request a different car when you were picking it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Bring it back they'd fail an nct/doe on a commercial ,so its not safe especially if your keeping it for a few weeks.

I rented a zafaria a while back of enterprise was 08 model with v low mileage maybe i was just lucky.

Was on holidays a while ago and rented a saab 93 convertible went through two of them turbo went in the first one and the 2nd one went into limp home mode for no reason was driving like a granny.

But its the luck of the draw i suppose and the old saying nothing handles like a rent a car!

Advertisement