Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB sexing

Options
  • 01-12-2009 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Is USB versatile enough to be able to make a connection as follows...

[php]PC (female) <--- (male) male-to-male extension (male) ---> (female) female-to-female extension (female) <--- (male) USB device[/php]

If that doesn't make sense, try this: Can you connect a device into a female to female usb cable, then into a male to male usb cable and then into the back of your pooter? Will that work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

theyre just connectors. think of the cord as a garden hose and let your imagination run wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Great! Just what I needed to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

There'll be a certain length at which signal degradation will become a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah i wondered if i needed to mention that. anything longer than 15 feet will not work. you can use USB to Ethernet converters to carry the data across an RJ45 cable over much longer distances - at least 100ft, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

You can also use cables with boosters on them to increase the range of usb up to and over 20metres.
    I'm using two 5metre booster cables in series which I got off ebay for less than a tenner for the last couple of years and still goin strong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Thanks lads but distance isn't an issue for me. I just need to connect a USB device through a wall and into the back of my pc on the other side but I want to use a wall plate to get a professional look.

Advertisement