Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc modem router with Wrt54g

Options
  • 01-12-2009 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

I have Upc broadband using the Cisco EPC2425 cable modem. I want to use my Linksys wrt54g as main router instead of the cable modem/router. Just want the cisco to pass the internet onto the wrt54g :) I got it working somehow but then I could not see the admin page on the Cisco EPC2425. I gave Cisco ip of 192.168.1.1, then the wrt54g ip of 192.168.1.2 . Auto dhcp enabled on the wrt54g and it picks up the ups dns servers. Well anyway its not really working right. Anyone have ideas of proper way to set it up. Tried loads of different scenarios but no avail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

From my reading of threads over on broadband forum, the cisco unit is locked down. You can do very little with it. UPC insist on you using their equipment. Your choices are cisco combined modem/router or 2 seperate units. One for modem and one for router. That way, you can remove the router and replace with your own but you must use their modem.

The only way I could see it done is to disable DHCP on the cisco unit and force the IP addresses on each PC manually. But, not sure if that will stop the cisco unit trying to act as a router still. Probably talking through my hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 skuby1968

Thats it ....you dont have to do any more.
    Just enable broadband by autodhcp on the wrt.

Give the wrt a different lan ip range than the cisco if you want. Then you never have to bother logging into the cisco again.
    Just use your wrt for opening ports etc. I have mine set up this way and works perfectly. You dont have to touch the cisco. Just plug it into the linksys.....

Advertisement