Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the season ended today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Well if the season ended today, there'd be nobody in the hunt, :p

Seriously though, it's a decent question. The Steelers are pretty much embarrassing themselves ... reigning SB Champs? Pffft!

Eagles have disappointed me this season, and I think the Cowboys are the best NFC East team (Giants have been the biggest let-down in the league). But it's all academical really, because if by some miraculous stretch of the imagination anyone beat the Vikings ... they won't beat the Saints, and Vice Versa.

AFC is much more open. As a Colts fan, time has thought me that we could go 16-0 and lose to any one of the Pats, Steelers, Chargers. I feel this season is different though. Ever since week 3, our D has shone, and tbh I can see that make a difference in the Play-offs for us. I also genuinely believe had we not F***ed up against San Diego last season, we'd have won the Big One. We're stronger in all areas now!!! But any of these four could end up in Miami in January. Any given Sunday, etc. etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,901 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I hope we beat the Saints tonight, I think the Patriots end up at no.2 if they win tonight.
    I think the Broncos will stumble into the playoffs, the other spot is wide open. With the way Vince Young and the greatest little guy in the league Chris Johnson are playing the Titans are certainly in the race for that spot, they just have to beat one of the Colts away or the Chargers at home to make it. Their other 3 remaining games are home to the Rams and Dolphins and away to the Seahawks.
    That will guarantee two tough wild card playoff games.

On the NFC side, yeah I agree with Davyjose as I too think the Cowboys are going to win that division. I think the 49ers are a lock for one wild card spot, they have a pretty soft schedule from here in except for the Cards I think. The other one is wide open, and I mean almost any team could get it even some of those 3 games back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

davyjose wrote: »
    because if by some miraculous stretch of the imagination anyone beat the Vikings ... they won't beat the Saints, and Vice Versa.

Have you not being watching the Playoffs for the past few years?

Have you not being watching the Playoffs for the past few years?

I have, but my point is that the Saints and Vikes are so far ahead of the rest, that if one manages to eke a win against one of these teams, they'll struggle to do it the following week. I of course could be wrong, but Jesus look how strong the Saints are. What they did last night defies belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

davyjose wrote: »
    I have, but my point is that the Saints and Vikes are so far ahead of the rest, that if one manages to eke a win against one of these teams, they'll struggle to do it the following week. I of course could be wrong, but Jesus look how strong the Saints are. What they did last night defies belief.

I agree with this. We all know the Playoffs are nothing like the regular season and teams either get better or worse during them. But right now it is hard to imagine an NFC Championship game without both the Saints and Vikings.

Saints: Sean Peyton has put together a solid package. Drew Brees is in his comfort zone with that offense. So many weapons all used to their full potential and the biggest thing for the Saints was getting that running game going. What astonished me last night was their defense. Wow They stepped it up big time and allowed that Offense to do their thing.

Vikings: Again another team with the full package. A solid Defense and Solid offense and Number 4 rocking the house and lifting the spirits of the Vikings Offense and getting the job done. Harvin and Rice really doing their thing this year and helping the old man out. And of course that solid backfield in Peterson and Taylor. Defensively the two Williams creating a brick wall and Jared Allen for me has really fine tuned the Vikes D.

These two teams if they get to the NFC Championship game will make for one hell of a contest thats for sure.

In the AFC you would have to say the Colts are a shoe in for the AFC Championship game the way Manning and Co are finishing off teams. Contrary to some folks belief ;) They are a force to be reckoned.

As for their opponents right now if it were playoffs time:

Jags: Just dont see them going any further than the wildcard game if they make the playoffs.

Steelers: They have a lot of work to do if they are going to succeed in the playoffs. Getting there is their first hurdle but they are a shadow of the team they were last year.

Ravens: Im no longer convinced by the Ravens again solid D but it has its faults and an Offense that struggle at the best of time. They truly need to find some sort of groove as they lack game winners on offense. One thing you can be gauranteed though with the Ravens and Steelers is Defensive battles. And if they make the playoffs they will make any teams journey a struggle.

Chargers: Starting to find that explosiveness again on offense. Rivers is finding his targets and their running game is slowly getting back into some sort of rythm. But it will be their running game that will fault them if they cant get Sproles and LT back into the players they have been for the past few years. They can't depend on Rivers again in the playoffs.

Broncos: The team most wrote off at the start of the season. Orton and Co will most likely drop a couple more games towards the end of the regular season but they are still getting the job done and pushing for the playoffs. Josh Daniels knows better than most that the important thing is to get there and then raise the bar. The tough test will be that wildcard game. Can the Broncos Prove themselves when it matters?

Last of all My Patriots. Like all Pats fans we truly live in the belief that the Playoffs is where we either shine or fail. Right now again contrary to other folks belief it doesn't suggest we are able to take on the big guns in the Saints and Colts and win. But I would never right off my Pats as like most I know that we are a playoff team. Our offense is back to its usual self but its our Defense that is struggling when it matters.

Don't know about you lot but this has been one of the most exciting NFL seasons. 3 unbeaten teams so far and a 40 year old at the helm in one of them. Breath taking football so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Is there anything to be said for the Cowboys as a dark horse ?

Only one game was lost comprehensively. They have been fairly solid in recent weeks, and have been grinding out results. Obviously the toughest tests are yet to come, but i live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

If the Titans manage to make the playoffs they will have some serious momentum behind them, they would give the Pats/Bengals/Chargers a major test in a wildcard game.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    If the Titans manage to make the playoffs they will have some serious momentum behind them, they would give the Pats/Bengals/Chargers a major test in a wildcard game.

To be honest its a big IF and with the Chargers and Colts still to play momentum or not they still have an uphill struggle to get a wild card spot. For me the Titans momentum is week by week. If the Colts beat them Sunday I can see them come right back down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

To be honest its a big IF and with the Chargers and Colts still to play momentum or not they still have an uphill struggle to get a wild card spot. For me the Titans momentum is week by week. If the Colts beat them Sunday I can see them come right back down to earth.

The other side of this coin is that a victory over the Colts and they would really believe they can make it, they would then have 3 winnable games plus a very tough game against the Chargers. 9-7 is probably the minimum target which looks very achievable IF:) they win on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

My Prediction:
    Superbowl: Colts (17-0) vs Saints (17-0)

All the Pats fans crying that they wont be the closest to ever go to a perfect 18game season.

*And then I wake up*

Its hard to know what will happen, but:
    Is there anything to be said for the Cowboys as a dark horse ?

Only one game was lost comprehensively. They have been fairly solid in recent weeks, and have been grinding out results. Obviously the toughest tests are yet to come, but i live in hope.

Fairly Solid in recent weeks? Squeaking past a poor Redskin Side 7-6 does not seem "Fairly Solid" to me. Plus its December, Bye Bye Good Romo, Hello Pick City!

If the giants can get their finger out then it will be them and the eagles who make the play off's not the Cowboys.

• Advertisement

All the Pats fans crying that they wont be the closest to ever go to a perfect 18game season.

I would take a Superbowl win over a perfect 18 game season any day. Stats are just stats at the end of it. Wont catch this Patriots crying if the Colts or Saints do it in fact I will watch the game in eager anticipation to see something I wasn't alive to see previously a perfect season. I would prefer the Saints to do it of course but I respect Manning and the Colts enough to applaud their win if they do it. The football fan in me will be the guy watching the Bowl that day :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,901 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fairly Solid in recent weeks? Squeaking past a poor Redskin Side 7-6 does not seem "Fairly Solid" to me. Plus its December, Bye Bye Good Romo, Hello Pick City!
    Cowboys/Redskins games have been traditionally close games. If you look at the Redskins this year they only lost I think two games by more than a touchdown. They are 7th in total defense this season, pretty poor against the run but no.1 against the pass.
    This decade in 19 games played the winning side has only won a Cowboys/Redskins game by more than a touchdown 4 times in 19 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

eagle eye wrote: »
    Cowboys/Redskins games have been traditionally close games. If you look at the Redskins this year they only lost I think two games by more than a touchdown. They are 7th in total defense this season, pretty poor against the run but no.1 against the pass.
    This decade in 19 games played the winning side has only won a Cowboys/Redskins game by more than a touchdown 4 times in 19 games.

Perhaps I should have been more clear, its not really that they only won by a point, its the fact that they didn't score for near enough 58min of the game, they made it into the Washington Redzone twice, once a fumble the other a TD. They only made it into the redskins half of the pitch on 50% of their drives.

The previous week against Green Bay they didn't score for over 59min.

Ok they won the Oakland game, but I wouldn't exactly call that a good team to judge against.

I think when up against strong teams like the Eagles or the Giants they will struggle.

Fairly Solid in recent weeks? Squeaking past a poor Redskin Side 7-6 does not seem "Fairly Solid" to me.

In fairness divisional games are usually close. If you play a team at least twice a year, you're going to know every detail of their play, what works against them, what doesn't. That's why the Pats, for instance, scraped by the Bills and lost to the Jets, and yet hammered the Titans. Whereas the Colts this week could easily lose this week to the Titans, but will probably destroy the Jets/Bills (unless players are rested, which unfortunately seems it will be the case if we get Home field adv.)

I have a lot of respect for teams that rout a team in their division. It's also one of the reasons I (Colts fan) hate getting the Pats or Chargers in the Playoffs. Because not only are they damn good teams, but they know us so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

As a Titans fan i'm probably biased, But I agree with this. The main issue is that the titans strongest weapon is Chris Johnson and Colts Rush D has been fearsome lately.

Even with that being said, If young can perform and Britt and the lads can perform to have a balanced offensive at their disposal then there is a good change.

Its not a game I'd like bet on. . .

If the titans beat the colts then they make play offs bar any silly losses.

Pity that waste of space collins played so many games at the start of the season :'(.

Advertisement