Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004 Volkswagen Polo

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:56am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi drivers,
    Thinking of getting a VW Polo as my first car- I've seen one; a 2004 with 55,000 miles which is NCTed until January 2012 which really appeals to me. I just have a couple of questions if you guys here don't mind. :)
    At 55,000 miles the timing belt is a concern; how do I know if it's the original or if it's been replaced- would it be in the logbook? (Yes, I know that's probably a stoopid question..) :o
    Also, do car dealerships deliver? I'm on a learner permit and don't want to drive it home alone and break the law on my first outing. :eek:
    It's €5,500 asking price- should I be able to haggle them down to 5k?

And a Polo question- would it be a good starter car for a learner, I don't want a car that's too big or awkward.

Thanks for any input. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.2 litre engine in the Polo has a timing chain which should not need changing afaik. €5,500 asking price is a bit on the steep side, there are a few on carzone asking around the €5k mark so shop around for the best price, don't just settle for the first one you see.

Also consider these as they are basically the same car as the Polo underneath but cheaper to buy:

Skoda Fabia:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200948195985136

Seat Ibiza:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200944195655829

Regarding a garage delivering the car to you, I'm sure any decent garage will come to some sort of arrangement with you to drop the car to you once the sale is concluded.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

So is a timing chain better than a timing belt? Does it never need to be replaced? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

My parents had a 1.2L '04 Polo for a couple of years. They got rid of it after starting a taxi business, they still go on about how it was the best car they ever had :) though bear in mind it was brand new when they bought it.

I'm learning to drive on a '01 1.0L Polo, so I don't think it would be any comparison to the '04 but I think it's fantastic little car. The thing I've heard about the Polo is that they don't depreciate as much and hold on to their money.

But like a previous poster said, there are alternatives like the SEAT Ibiza which are more or less rebadged VW's which can be got cheaper. Not sure are they built in the same factory though so maybe someone else knows about build quality?

Advertisement