Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity wall insulation: foam -V- beads

Options
  • 30-11-2009 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

I'm considering cavity wall insulation and have tried researching the various options and potential risks. My home is a conventional 3-bed semi with a converted attic (attic only is Kingspan insulated) and the house is of cavity block construction. It was built in 1997.

There seems to be pro's and cons with both foam and bead insulations. My biggest worry is either system causing us problems with damp, which is something we don't have currently. Apart from heat loss, we do seem to have problems with drafts under skirting boards and the likes.

My neighbour has been quoted €1500 to have his house insulated with foam. As his attic is converted, they have to drill and pump his walls all the way up the gable. Even though my attic is already insulated, should I get mine done like this or is it a waste on money?

Also, some of the foams used may contain formaldehyde. Is this something to be concerned with as my understanding is that this chemical is lethal :eek:

Any further advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,121 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

shamwari wrote: »
    I'm considering cavity wall insulation and have tried researching the various options and potential risks. My home is a conventional 3-bed semi with a converted attic (attic only is Kingspan insulated) and the house is of cavity block construction. It was built in 1997.

There seems to be pro's and cons with both foam and bead insulations. My biggest worry is either system causing us problems with damp, which is something we don't have currently. Apart from heat loss, we do seem to have problems with drafts under skirting boards and the likes.

My neighbour has been quoted €1500 to have his house insulated with foam. As his attic is converted, they have to drill and pump his walls all the way up the gable. Even though my attic is already insulated, should I get mine done like this or is it a waste on money?

Also, some of the foams used may contain formaldehyde. Is this something to be concerned with as my understanding is that this chemical is lethal :eek:

Any further advice or opinions would be appreciated.

There is NO foam product on the market certified for use in a cavity wall.
    DO NOT use this product.

http://www.constructireland.ie/vb/showthread.php?t=1004

see posts 5 and 6 in this thread....
    you are getting it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

sydthebeat wrote: »
    There is NO foam product on the market certified for use in a cavity wall.
    DO NOT use this product.

http://www.constructireland.ie/vb/showthread.php?t=1004

see posts 5 and 6 in this thread....
    you are getting it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak...

Sydthebeat, the discussion in the link above seems to refer to a specific product (Icynene) rather than foam products for cavitys in general.

Seperate enquiries I've made elsewhere also indicate that foam is being used by several apparently reputable agencies, for example (and I'm not plugging this group, http://www.premierinsulations.com/HollowBlockInsulation.htm)

shamwari wrote: »
    Sydthebeat, the discussion in the link above seems to refer to a specific product (Icynene) rather than foam products for cavitys in general.

Seperate enquiries I've made elsewhere also indicate that foam is being used by several apparently reputable agencies, for example (and I'm not plugging this group, http://www.premierinsulations.com/HollowBlockInsulation.htm)

Icynene is the only foam based product on the market with IAB certification.
    http://www.nsai.ie/NSAI/files/8a/8aba7f43-cf8d-4d6c-a668-2e94196defd1.pdf
    They are the current market leaders in this field. (Im not in any way connected!) They themselves attest to teh fact that there is no faom based product certified for us ein a cavity wall in ireland.

The site you have linked to is all very pretty but valueless in my opinion.

I find it very, very worrying and disingenuous that, on their 'certs' page for foam insulation they link to a 1992 British standard document. This most certainly IS NOT a certification. In the absence of anything else, this proves there is no certification.

If you want to take the risk using this product its up to you, its your money. But personally i would demand independent accrediated certification to prove that the product does what they say it does, and more importantly, that there is no health risks in using it. Otherwise its caveat emptor.

Any views on Polystyrene beads?

no problems....

To pump insulation into a cavity you basically have two choices

mineral wool or polystyrene beads

Polystyrene beads come in two choices, standard and platinum. The platinum is a better product as it has a higher thermal resistance.

so of choices of mineral wool, standard polystyrene or platinum polystyrene, i would choose the platinum polystyrene as its the best product.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    no problems....

To pump insulation into a cavity you basically have two choices

mineral wool or polystyrene beads

Polystyrene beads come in two choices, standard and platinum. The platinum is a better product as it has a higher thermal resistance.

so of choices of mineral wool, standard polystyrene or platinum polystyrene, i would choose the platinum polystyrene as its the best product.

Any ideas as to cost of platinum polystyrene based on my house as described above. Foam job was priced at €1500, but am deciding against it based on your advice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

Around 750-1000 euro for a 44m squared semi-d
    There is a grant avaible www.sei.ie

Advertisement