Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning as mature student?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

hey people have a few questions for ye i have a higher cert in business studies recieved it 2 years ago went to third year and failed so i got fed up with it and went away working i am now jobless and would like to get a degree im 24 so would i be considered a mature student and what benefits am i entitled to and when is my deadline to do something about it thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

You should check relevant CAO info.
    As far as I know the deadline is 1st February every year and then mature people are called for interview in March/April. Correct me if I'm wrong as this isn't the way I went back to college.
    You're considered mature if you are 23 or older in the year you are applying so if you are 24 applying for college for next year then you are mature.
    What you are entitled to depends on a lot of things so again check this out with your local citizen's information office or county council or social welfare office.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mitsy

blueoval wrote: »
    hey people have a few questions for ye i have a higher cert in business studies recieved it 2 years ago went to third year and failed so i got fed up with it and went away working i am now jobless and would like to get a degree im 24 so would i be considered a mature student and what benefits am i entitled to and when is my deadline to do something about it thanks
    Hi blueoval,

I went back to college as a mature student and graduated in 2004...best thing i ever did.

First thing to do is make a list of all the colleges/courses you are interested in and then contact all their admissions offices. You do have to complete and submit a CAO but most colleges require a separate application for Mature students which may include an apptitude test and an interview. It seems daunting but it is worth it because you get to meet course coordinators and discuss any issues you might be worried about.

Most colleges require their applications to be submitted in and around the same time as the CAO so i would start my research now.

You could be entitled to back to education allowances and the higher education grant so check these out. Citizens information give really good advice on these things.

I hope it all goes well for you and best of luck.

Advertisement