Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High iron levels

Options
  • 30-11-2009 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Could drinking the night before a blood test raise your iron levels temporarily,
    I had complete bloodwork done and everything else is perfect just the iron.
    Tx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Alcohol does increase iron absorption but I wouldn't be sure if it would massively increase your levels.

Haemochromotosis is a genetic condition which causes you to absorb too much iron. It is very very common in Ireland/Irish Americans etc. Did your doctor mention anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jupiler

no, he says he wants me to go for more blood tests, that my sugar level was a little high and asked me if i felt fatigued, which i answered no

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What were you drinking the night before? And how much of it?

I'd say you should just ask your doctor this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Sound, just don't drink before the next one to be sure.

I think it was the Ireland match so 7/8 pints, ofcourse im not gonna do that again as I assumed everything would be ok the 1st time, but now it doesnt seem so routine and should be taken more seriously, just concerned about the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

pints of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

*awaits for the OP to inform us of 10 pints of Guiness the night before*
    :P

yeah, high levels do run in the family but no Haemochromotosis, phew, :) Can relax a little now. Tx for the replies.

jupiler wrote: »
    yeah, high levels do run in the family but no Haemochromotosis, phew, :) Can relax a little now. Tx for the replies.

You are going/have been back for the other bloods?

going back tommorrow,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

jupiler wrote: »

You're lucky, Irish people are more genetically disposed to Haemochromotosis than anywhere else AFAIK.

Anyway good luck with your test.

Advertisement