Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research Experience

Options
  • 30-11-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey Everyone,

I'm a second year med student and I was just wondering if there are any clinical placements or summer research projects that I could do next summer? I know the major colleges do undergraduate research but they're usually aimed at older students.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Medstudent wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

I'm a second year med student and I was just wondering if there are any clinical placements or summer research projects that I could do next summer? I know the major colleges do undergraduate research but they're usually aimed at older students.

Any ideas??
    most colleges have "mentors" kinda like guidance councilors in school, in my college every group of 4-5 students has their own mentor, and you can talk to them about your subjects/course related stuff etc etc, might be worth your while to contact them, or find out who your mentor is if they do it in your college, or else your course coordinator/year head, they will give you accurate information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Narkius Maximus

Hey Everyone,

Any ideas??

Hi medstudent,

You should contact the HRB. They do summer placements for undergrads, don't think there is a limit to what year you have to be in.

http://www.hrb.ie/research-strategy-funding/grants-and-fellowships/funding-awarded/current-grant-holders/summer-students/

like most things on the HRB website it's not hugely informative but it's a start. Depending on what college you are in, email the heads of various departments of the areas you are interested in. Most are only happy to accomodate.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Hi medstudent,

You should contact the HRB. They do summer placements for undergrads, don't think there is a limit to what year you have to be in.

http://www.hrb.ie/research-strategy-funding/grants-and-fellowships/funding-awarded/current-grant-holders/summer-students/

like most things on the HRB website it's not hugely informative but it's a start. Depending on what college you are in, email the heads of various departments of the areas you are interested in. Most are only happy to accomodate.

Good luck.

In addition to this good advice, you might find that some Depts will start putting up flyers looking for people like yourself to get involved in summer prjects (they used to be 8 weeks in UCD). They tended to get plastered around the place in February or March, but as NM has said it would be well worth your while being proactive and contacted the HoDs yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

1. Pick a few fields of research you are interested in
    2. Visit the lecturers associated with that research in your Uni and ask about working with them over the summer

Years ago I did a placement funded by the Society for General Microbiology*, some of my friends did HRB sponsored research.

That was about 14 years ago, they may not even fund positions anymore, you'd have to check.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

also, look up the eureka (ureka?) programme, three month summer research placements in a variety of fields.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Medstudent

Thanks guys. I've definitely heard of the ureka science programme but i think its more so to do with final year students and you sorta have to prove you'll stay in the research field. I guess they'd be less likely to take me on because I'm a health science student you know??

the hrb website looks good though so fingers crossed they'll update for summer 2010!

My class has over 200 students so i dont know how emailing professors will go? we dont have a lot of tutorial group sessions so we don't get to know them on a one to one basis you know?

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

My class has over 200 students so i dont know how emailing professors will go? we dont have a lot of tutorial group sessions so we don't get to know them on a one to one basis you know?

You'll find that most people aren't emailing their profs, and to be honest I'm sure they'd be more than happy to accomodate someone who seems as proactive as yourself. And besides, the worst that can happen is that they tell you to look up someone else and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lol, my class had over 300 students only back then Ireland didn't even have a single website (1995) so email hadn't taken off. Guess what, we used to do something crazy, we'd walk to a lecturer's office, knock on his door and have what was known in the old days as a face-to-face conversation! That's where you are actually in the same room as him and speak directly using your voice!! Mad stuff altogether Ted! :D

Seriously, go to the office of someone who does work you might be interested in, talk with them about what you'd like to do and go from there. Believe it or not you get a lot of respect for showing genuine interest and taking some initiative. You've taken a good step by asking here, now get off your ass and knock on some doors. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Thanks guys. I've definitely heard of the ureka science programme but i think its more so to do with final year students and you sorta have to prove you'll stay in the research field. I guess they'd be less likely to take me on because I'm a health science student you know??

the hrb website looks good though so fingers crossed they'll update for summer 2010!

ureka /isn't/ open to final year students, though some colleges restrict applicants to those who have jsut completed 3rd year. some colleges don't so there's no harm finding this year's list (if it's up on the sfi webby already) and going through each one. you'll find certain labs will take you on for nothing around hte college (look up journals to find out who's doing stuff that intersests you and approach the relevant lecturer). Some labs won't take you on (insurance reasons or lack of experience) but least you can do is ask

Advertisement