Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To Basics 18th Birthday Party - Review

Options
  • 30-11-2009 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055746375

Absolute cracking night was had, despite the torrential rain the club was packed to the gills,being so busy i didn't have time to buy tickets in advance and had to pay £20 on the door..... ouch, mega expensive for Leeds but being the occasion it was and seen as the club was open until 6am with a free afterparty it was money well spent.

We arrived about 11.45 an caught the end of Tristan Da Cunha's set which was very good, quality uplifting house.

About midnight Buckley came onto the decks, id heard of this guy many times but id never seen him play, he played a storming set fusing many different styles but mostly on funky but banging house, some of the progressive stuff he played too was top drawer,we headed upstairs where the Pigeon Dectectives were playing all sorts of Rock and Indie, not really my cup of tea when im in a club but people seemed to enjoy it.

On the middle floor James Holyrod was on,id not seen him since the mid 1990's and was looking forward to seeing him again, he played a cracking set consisting of Soulful House and USA Garage an i was delighted to hear some breakbeats in his set as well, his mixing too was really good.

Back in the main room and the place was heaving as Buckley upped the tempo, he really is top drawer and knows how to work the crowd.

2am and Ivan Smagghe came on, started off playing some Techno which sounded good but as time went on was just playing Tech House which i just cannot get into, a pity he didn't just keep on playing Techno, we went walkabouts again, it was 3am and Andrew Weatherhall was on and i was really looking forward to seeing him play, what a major let down he was, he played really weird abstract house which went down like a lead baloon, the small room was packed too, i waited there 50 miutes in the hope the tempo would rise but he kept on playing what can only be described as crap basically, maybe ok for home listening but not a club and i was massively dissapointed, Weatherall at one time was the don but he just appears to play this mad stuff now and it just does not work in a club environment.

We went upstairs where The Sunshine Underground were doing a DJ set, this guy Craig was absolutely brilliant, never heard of them before but Craig from The Sunshine Underground played some stonking tunage, mixing up all styles which i love.

Come 5am and we caught some of Ralph Lawsons set which was excellent, quality upfront and uplifting House, we left at 5.30am as we'd been for a meal earlier and got stuck into loads of wine not to mention copious amounts of Red Stripe and were starting to feel it!!

I must also give a mention to the crowd who makes Basics what they are, the most up for it crowd ive seen in a long time and everyone so friendly too, you had people thanking you for coming over from Ireland, i didn't even get a chance to tell one guy i live here he was talking too much:D

It's amazing that a weekly club night has lasted so long,and Back To Basics are the catalyst for many other club nights, great night and great crowd, you know your at a top night when the dancefloor is still heaving at 5.30am, ill definitely be going again to Basics and if anyone happens to be in Leeds then i recommend you do too.;):)

Advertisement