Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question help

Options
  • 30-11-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

please can you guys and experts help me and my wife solve a friendly agruement. my wife thinks a woman is pregnant for 10 months. i say 9 months. 3 of her female friends have backed her answer, and its driving me mad. help solve this ?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

40 weeks gestation = 10 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Sorry but your wife is right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭louisa200

10 months... give or take a day or two..... and blimmin heck what a ten months it is........

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

40 weeks gestation = 10 months!
    im sorry but 40 weeks does not equal 10 months it equals atound 9 months and 6 days.
    if 40 weeks equals 10 months then by the same calculations there is 13 months in a year. as the remaining 12 weeks of the year would be 3 months

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

13 weeks is exactly 3 months. 39 weeks is 9 months. 40 week is 9 months + 1 week. So, closer to 9 than 10.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah it's closer to 9 as there are more than 4 weeks in every month bar February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭laura l

first pregnancies tend to go overdue.
    therefore 40 weeks plus a max of 10 days before being induced:
    9 months + 1 week +10 days = closer to 10 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

technically speaking the woman isn't actually pregnant for the first 2 weeks of that 40. Also a full term pregnancy is anything from 38 to 42 weeks.

now I'm losing count :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

LOL!

So to sum up from conception to birth at full term can be anywhere between 36 weeks and 40 weeks where you're actually pregnant.

I only count in months to make it easier for other people, it's always weeks in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

How many days in a month?! :D

A month is hardly an exact unit of time measurement, use weeks, i.e. 40 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It's usually counted like this
    Week one starts at the first day of your last period

week three is conception/implantation

week 4 first missed period you're actually properly pregnant

so you have 8 1/2 full months being pregnant if you have a normal 40 week pregnancy.. you are not considered over due until week 42 + 1 this will bring you up to 9 full months and 1 day
    BUT as you are considered pregnant from day one this means that in counting the weeks, week one is considered part of the process..

hope that confuses the hell out of you but you're both right!!!:D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I was having a similar problem lately!! I'm not due till beginning of march, but i am 27 weeks in a day or two....so i would consider myself 7 months pregnant at 28 weeks. No one agreed with me and kept getting mad at me because it made no sense if i was due in march.

it made plenty of sense to me...i have reached the 7th month...just not completed it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Hilarious, there was me thinking I was going mad!

I was going by how many weeks I am (28) which if I divide it by 4 weeks for every month is 7 months, yet I'm not due til February 21st which means I've actually 12 weeks/3 months left to go so I'm only 6 months pregnant.
    I feel cheated like I've had to do an extra month :D

Though I did find it confusing in the beginning also the way the count it from the first date of your lmp.

I'm sticking with months now if people ask how far along I am, easier!

cap-- just do it whatever way works for you. It's all the same really...and hell...its your body and your pregnancy. Just keep yourself happy! I personally find the 28 week - 7 month thing works best for me.

It makes perfect sense. 7 comes before 7 1/4...1/2....etc. Basic math?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

hacked wrote: »

It makes perfect sense. 7 comes before 7 1/4...1/2....etc. Basic math?

Works for me :D

Works for me :D

Ah bliss...someone who doesn't think I'm crazy!! :D

Advertisement