Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo for my ribs!

Options
  • 30-11-2009 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

hey!
    I need a few suggestions, I want to get a slim tattoo down my ribs maybe curving a little into my stomach. My original idea was to get writing, like a quote...I thought it might look nice, if anybody has any ideas on that please? also then I have an artist drawing me up a flower/star design at the minute, but i would like some different ideas to help me decide on what I want!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Hey Pebbles,

A few suggestions for you based on my experiences :)

1. The ribs are VERY sore to get tattooed. For my first tattoo ( a large back/side piece) the artist was reluctant to do it as a first tattoo for this reason. I ended up getting a small one on my wrist first instead and was very glad I did as I nearly passed out after ten minutes from the shock of it :eek: I got it finished as I knew he was halfway through - if it had been ten minutes into my 15+ hour side piece I know I wouldn't have finished it, ever. I would have ended up scrapping my original design and getting something small and random to cover it and make it presentable and never gone back! So think long and hard about it, if its something you *really* want you'll endure it but if youre not sure and just want "a tattoo" maybe reconsider the placement.

2. Script, stars and flowers are the first things almost everyone considers getting. There's nothing wrong with them, but in my opinion a lot of people get them because they are simply not aware of the almost endless possibilities for tattoos nowadays. They see these tattoos around the place and think that is all that is available. I think if people knew how skilled a lot of artists are nowadays and what they could have inked on their bodies forever they would research a little/lot more and find something unique that really speaks to them.

3. No one can pick your tattoo but you. Brainstorming ideas with friends or on forums like this can be helpful but ultimately the decision is yours. Please keep in mind though that it is not necessary to have a deep and meaningful reason for getting the tattoo, liking it enough to want to have it under your skin forever is reason enough, no matter what miami ink says ;)

4. If you are at the stage where you are excited about getting a tattoo but haven't picked something yet, I would suggest starting a tattoo folder, on your puter or printing out and keeping in an actual folder, whatever suits better. I have one of these stored on my gmail with lots of images and ideas for future tattoos. I check on it ocasionally and say either eugh what was I thinking and hit delete ;) or say hmmm yeah I still really like that and keep it there. I have a print I bought on etsy a year ago that I still love and want to get on my thigh, but am keeping it a little longer because whats another year if its going to be there forever ya know?

I hope this was helpful,

Molby x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

hey molby!

Thanks a mil for your reply it was very helpful! ;) I've heard that the ribs are awful sore but I have my mind set on it!...so i'l just have to endure the pain!:eek: as i said I wanted to get a quote but people have put me off it saying how what that quote means to me now, won't mean the same to me in twenty years time but I do like writing and I think it looks really well!

Yeah I've noticed stars are very popular and wanted to make it a little different to everybody else's but having difficultly deciding on how exactly to do that! Going to have to keep browsing the internet and hoping i come up with something!

I already have that folder made, half full as it is!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I have my whole ribs done on my right hand side and I have to admit it was a bit horrible! But my back is done also and that was a million times worse so the ribs are a walk it the park compared!

I got Japanese style wind and cherry blossoms. I know molberts gave you good advice but I think things like flowers and stars look good on a rib piece on a girl. they can be drawn on to run with the flow and shape of your body and can look really elegant and feminine.

Just think about it, make sure you're really happy with the design. I would recommend getting the artist to draw it up himself cuz at least it'll be unique to you rather than picking a piece of flash off the wall that everybody has!

Whatever you pick, good luck with it and make sure you post a picture when it's done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

your tatttoo sounds nice! I like back pieces too, considering one of them in the future! one at a time for now!! yeah i'm not just guna copy a design, i do want something that's a bit different but it's hard to explain to an artist how exactly ya want it so trying to find a few bits and get an artist to put it together! I'l def put up a pic when it's done..if i survive the pain!!

Advertisement