Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between Bead insulation and Foam insulation?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Pretty much what it says on the tin! Whats the difference and which one would ye advise on gettting?
    Cheers in advanced :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

I'm being told by a company that foam is better then beads anyone got experience in this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Beads are not advised for a timber framed house, thats all I know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Build4less.ie

Why would you want to limit yourself to beads and foam are you pumping into your cavity?

Build4less.ie

Why would you want to limit yourself to beads and foam are you pumping into your cavity?

Build4less.ie

Ya it's for the cavity. I have got three company's to quote me all three do beads but one company is pushing the foam as being better than beads, they are saying it fills the entire cavity because its pumped in at pressure, where beads are gravity filled and leave pockets around the cavity that don't fill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Filling your cavity is asking for trouble in 5 years time.

• Advertisement

Filling your cavity is asking for trouble in 5 years time.

Why?

Foam leaves gaps too. In fact I would prefer to use beads as it is gravity fed and more likely to make its way around objects. Also foam will loose its efficiency after about 5 years as it is a gas based product like PIR insulation and when the gas begins to leak out as it does you start to loose your efficiency.

To be honest drylining the inside is better from a sustainable point of view and can be easily replaced in 10 or 15 years time if needed. Foam cant unless you want to send in a midget into your cavity to clean all the foam and beads out haha.

Build4less.ie

Foam leaves gaps too. In fact I would prefer to use beads as it is gravity fed and more likely to make its way around objects. Also foam will loose its efficiency after about 5 years as it is a gas based product like PIR insulation and when the gas begins to leak out as it does you start to loose your efficiency.

To be honest drylining the inside is better from a sustainable point of view and can be easily replaced in 10 or 15 years time if needed. Foam cant unless you want to send in a midget into your cavity to clean all the foam and beads out haha.

Build4less.ie

I don't understand how gravity flow could fill better than something pumped in at pressure.

Why would you want to remove the foam or bead?

Anthony the foam can loose its gases which is what gives it its U-value. Over a period of time the gas leaks out from the closed cell construction of the foam. Also there is no more pressure being used pumping in foam as beads as the cavity is breathable so it cant build up in pressure inside. Also the foam will only expand so much then it turns hard and can close of areas leaving voids in the cavity if left overnight and finished following day. The beads are also pumped in under pressure.

Personally I would not use either but that is just my opinion.

Regards
    Build4less.ie

If you look at a wall tie you will see how it is twisted in the middle to stop the moisture travelling along the wall tie into the inner leaf. This is why all these ties had to be kept clean of mortar during the building stage. The air pockets between the beads will over time fill up with moisture and over more time reach the inner leaf. The moisture will also travel along the wall tie and because the foam will not leave room for the drops to fall off at the twist will travel to the inner leaf.

• Advertisement

Anthony the foam can loose its gases which is what gives it its U-value. Over a period of time the gas leaks out from the closed cell construction of the foam. Also there is no more pressure being used pumping in foam as beads as the cavity is breathable so it cant build up in pressure inside. Also the foam will only expand so much then it turns hard and can close of areas leaving voids in the cavity if left overnight and finished following day. The beads are also pumped in under pressure.

Regards
    Build4less.ie

Thanks build4less, ill take what you have told me on board and at least i have a few hard questions for there sales man

If you look at a wall tie you will see how it is twisted in the middle to stop the moisture travelling along the wall tie into the inner leaf. This is why all these ties had to be kept clean of mortar during the building stage. The air pockets between the beads will over time fill up with moisture and over more time reach the inner leaf. The moisture will also travel along the wall tie and because the foam will not leave room for the drops to fall off at the twist will travel to the inner leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jugapuga

Regards
    Build4less.ie

Hello Build4less

I wonder what insulation you would use if non of the bead or foam.
    Our house is from 2 layers of bricks and there is some kind of insulation between - board or something.
    I got survey done and the guy is saying that because we have board insulation it will be very hard to fill the cavity with bead insulation.

Other guy is going to do survey on monday. This company does insulation with foam.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Does anyone have any more opinions on house insulation options?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

After reading the old thread op never made it clear if he was filling the cavity in the 9" blocks (a complete waste of time) or if he had a cavity between structures with his wall. The later is a good way to insulate the home.

How old is your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kala85 wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

That's a very general question. Walls, right? Are you talking about block cavity, timber frame, cavity block, block on flat?

I wrote a long post on foam vs beads for block cavity after doing my own research on certification:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057830336

The short version is: use beads, pay attention to insulation continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yes. First have the house tested for heat loss. Then let the results guide you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Yes. First have the house tested for heat loss. Then let the results guide you.

How do i get tested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

How do i get tested

Not being smart but google "heat loss survey" + your geographical area would be a start.

Advertisement