Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Live Messenger Problem

Options
  • 30-11-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently got a new pc with Windows 7, but for some reason when I log onto MSN it signs me out when I click on a certain contact's name.

Anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Anyone else having problems with this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have you tried a virsus scan to start off with?

Shut down Windows Live Messenger.

Click Start
    Click Run
    Enter: %appdata%\microsoft
    Click OK.

Then right click the MSN Messenger folders, choose Delete, and then confirm the operation.

Re-install if necessary

Also try this:

CLICK TOOLS > OPTIONS > PRIVACY
    THEN REMOVE THE TICK IN THE BOX THAT SAYS "ONLY PEOPLE ON MY ALLOW LIST CAN SEE MY STATUS AND SEND ME MESSAGES"

For some reason that seems to help too.

What firewalls/anti-virus are you using?

I'm using AVG free and Windows firewall mate, I un-installed it a good few times and it's still the same.It only happens with a few contacts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

any apostrophies in their names, if so then it's just screaming for a buffer exploit :(

seriously is there anything in common with the contacts ?

stupid question , anyone know if MSN can be run on anything else to rule out stuff, like in compatability mode , have you tried in safe mode / on another PC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

PAU wrote: »
    I'm using AVG free and Windows firewall mate, I un-installed it a good few times and it's still the same.It only happens with a few contacts.

Are you using the laptop in your home or office?

Did you try to uninstall and reinstall Windows Live Messenger?

• Advertisement

any apostrophies in their names, if so then it's just screaming for a buffer exploit :(

stupid question , anyone know if MSN can be run on anything else to rule out stuff, like in compatability mode , have you tried in safe mode / on another PC ?

Their profile pics don't come up for some reason and when I click on their names I just get signed out.It only happens with about 2 contacts, it's a home PC, brand new actually with Windows 7.
    coldfire1x wrote: »
    Are you using the laptop in your home or office?

Did you try to uninstall and reinstall Windows Live Messenger?

Yeah I did mate a good few times.

You just reminded me of something there. It could certainly be due to some unusual characters in that contact's name. Someone I knew was using a Linux chat client (think it was Pidgin or aMSN) and my brother had some weird characters in his name. Whenever my brother signed in, the Linux app would crash.

When I'm un-installiing WLM using Windows 7 do I get rid of Windows Live update tool aswell?, as this is totally wrecking my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

PAU wrote: »
    When I'm un-installiing WLM using Windows 7 do I get rid of Windows Live update tool aswell?, as this is totally wrecking my head.

Yes anything and everything that starts with Windows Live.....

and then you can do a clean install.

Well I got rid of the new version and put 8.5 beta on it, seems to be working fine now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

I've been trying to use Live Messenger but can't get it to start - I keep getting an Error Message "8004051" I think it is. Tried to d/l a new version to install, but then get EM's that I don't have access to install. Thing is, I have full admin rights on this machine. I can't uninstall the existing app as it doesn't appear in the list "Add/Remover software.." - it's like a ghost application !
    Have tried a couple of hacks I found on the Internet (msiexec /x {B1403D7D-C725-4858-AACC-7E5FA2D72859}), but this says it can't uninstall what isn't installed !! So, still no joy.

Anybody help with this please ?

Advertisement