Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus - Won't start (sometimes....)

Options
  • 30-11-2009 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, I've got a 2002 1.4 Focus.

Twice in the last 3 weeks it has not started for me. The first time it happened, I had been using the car all afternoon but then in the evening, it wouldn't start. The next morning however, it started no problem.

The second incident happened last Thursday, I drove to work in the morning, left office at 5pm. Went to the car and again it would not start. I got 2 colleagues to give me a push, nothing. We also jumped it with jump leads but again, nothing. So this morning I got the bus to work and an hour and half later (takes 15-20 mins by car!!) arrived to the office and the car started, no problems!

Has anyone had a similar experience? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be? I don't think its the battery as it still wouldn't start after using jump leads, and all the lights/electrics were working fine.

I do intend taking the car to a garage but was wondering if anyone knew what the problem might be. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

What sort of noise do you get when trying to start the car? Is the engine turning over but not catching, or is there no real effort from the engine?

I had a similar issue with an old Orion and it was the starter motor. Replaced the starter and didn't have another issue. That would start no problem when it wasn't used for a while, but if the engine was warm the starter just did nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Focus27

No real effort from the engine. When I try to start it, the engine just does nothing. So yes, maybe it is the starter. Are they expensive to get do you know?

Also on a more general note, Does anyone have a recommendation for a garage in the Cabra area? or near by....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Last time I bought a starter motor it was £15 pound from a scrapyard. Mind, that was 1996 and it was for a Ford Pinto engine.

If it is the starter, try a scrapyard. But you'll want a better diagnoses than mine before doing anything. I fitted the above starter myself, only for it to fall off on the motorway at 70mph :o. Dragged it along by the battery lead for about 3 miles until I got to a service station. Disconneted it, push started the car an drove straight to a mechanic.

You should have got something from a push start if you were doing it right though. Did the car just stop when you released the clutch?

I got stuck actually pushing it. A lad at work that seems to be into cars was behind the wheel. Ya, the car stopped when releasing the clutch, engine made no effort to start.

I'm planning on getting to a garage in the morning. Will see what they tell me. Then I'll try and source a second hand one and get the garage to fit it.

Cheers for the info R.O.R

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

You need to give more info.
    Is the starter motor working ? yes or no ?
    If it is working, and engine not firing is a different problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Are the electrics working? eg radio etc.
    Does the starter motor make any noise at all when turning over?
    Check the battery terminals to make sure they're not loose or damaged.
    Check if your spark plugs are all in place.
    Obvious one but is there adequate fuel?
    Keep us posted op.

Are the electrics working? eg radio etc.

Yep - all working.

For the first couple of attempts there was some noise... engine tried to start but couldn't. After a couple of attempts, nothing at all!

Check the battery terminals to make sure they're not loose or damaged. No, Battery seems to be fine.

Check if your spark plugs are all in place. Car was serviced about 2 months ago and plugs were changed.

Obvious one but is there adequate fuel? :) Yes, Did occur to me alright at first but half a tank there....
    Keep us posted op.

For those of you wondering - Its the fuel pump that's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Sound for the update. always curious what the issue at hand is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fcoll4

Hi Focus27,

Wondering did you get a new or second-hand fuel pump? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? I'm looking at the same problem with a 00 Focus.

• Advertisement

Cost 400 including labour for a new one. It was 260 to buy and 140 in labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

Focus27 wrote: »

For the first couple of attempts there was some noise... engine tried to start but couldn't. After a couple of attempts, nothing at all!

just an idea but if youve just had the work done take a look at your battery and see if it looks new as i had an issue with the wifes focus not starting but the engine should have carried on turning over for fekkin loads of attempts b4 the battery went. if the fuel pump was faulty it would still have kept the engine turning over. if after a couple of attempts it stopped turning over i would look at the starter. look around the engine bay for shiney bits you may have had a battery / starter fitted and charged for a more expensive job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

doh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Today, I found that the fuel pump on my 00 Focus went and that it would cost 550ish to repair. I rang another Ford dealer and they quoted 440 and I see here a poster was quoted 400.

I feel like I am getting screwed here. Isn't there something that shows how long each job should take. Am being quoted over 3 hours labour at 75ish per hour.

Advertisement