Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice required about a broke down clio!

Options
  • 30-11-2009 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey

Just wondering if anyone can give me some info.

Basically I drive a 00-Clio with 74k I have it 6 months. Had a problem a couple of months after I bought it where it wouldn't start and cut out with engine ticking over while stationary. Got the spark plugs changed and was told I needed the sensor changed to that connects this? (not sure what this means so if anyone can explain please do but know I never got the sensor one to be honest I forgot about it). Last week I topped up water/coolant/antifreeze as it was low not sure if relevent!

Tonight when driving down the M50 I heard a little popping sound then a hissing sound. Car then slowed down so I pulled over as it appeared to be stopping altogether lucky I made it to hard shoulder. Some man stopped and tried jump starting it no luck as obviously not the battery then he noticed that engine was covered in oil and top has come off the oil too.

Called insurance company who sent out someone to tow the car away. He had a look and said that timing belt was not moving around and he wasn't sure if it had come off or just gone altogether. I asked him could this blow top off the oil and he said maybe. I'm not sure about all this and would love some advice ie what it could be and also how much it will cost to get fixed as I don't want to get screwed.

Thanks!!!

ABOVE POST WAS FROM LAST WEEK AND BELOW IS UPDATE I GOT TODAY

Hey,

So here's the update......I was told now that my problem was actually my water pump. It seems it was leaking and that is what made my timing belt slip off. The mechanic said that he doesn't think I need a new engine he said that I need a new water pump, timing belt and the valves fixed and has quoted me €800 for this. Please any advice would be very welcome also is this a reasonable price.

Thanks!

ps. If anyone knows of any good reasonable mechanic that would do it for less please could they pm so I could phone around for quotes.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement