Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Assessment... when do I get my letter?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all -

I filed my self-employed self-assessment form and posted it off the last week of October '09. How long (usually) before I get a letter back from the revenue regarding this? ie - that they received my info, etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

If you filed the return manually it can take a considerable time before it is finally processed and the notice of assessment issues.

Regards

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 poor.fricky

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

If you filed the return manually it can take a considerable time before it is finally processed and the notice of assessment issues.

Regards

dbran

Thanks for responding... so is that weeks, months...? I'm an artist so owe a bit of PRSI for 2008 (I estimate about only 300-400 euros). I was advised by an accountant that I should let the Revenue work out exactly how much, so not to put in myself how much the Self Assesment form (there was no box there for PRSI anyway).
    However, if this is going to take some time for the Revenue to get back to me, I'm assuming I'll have to pay the penalty for late payment of PRSI? Or is PRSI not considered a Revenue thing, more a Social Welfare thing? (Sorry if this all sounds naive, it's my first time doing any of this!)

Hi

I would expect 6-8 weeks minimum for a manual return.

So long as you filed (and was received) before 31 October there should be no surcharge.

Revenue are responsible for collecting PRSI.

Kind Regards

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

I got mine in the post this morning, and my accountant left it until the Online deadline to file.

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

I would expect 6-8 weeks minimum for a manual return.

So long as you filed (and was received) before 31 October there should be no surcharge.

Revenue are responsible for collecting PRSI.

Kind Regards

dbran

Ok, good stuff - you think they'll have worked out the PRSI lie I was informed?

• Advertisement

Rulmeq wrote: »
    I got mine in the post this morning, and my accountant left it until the Online deadline to file.

If you file online it will be quick.

if you file manually it will be slow

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Hi all -

I filed my self-employed self-assessment form and posted it off the last week of October '09. How long (usually) before I get a letter back from the revenue regarding this? ie - that they received my info, etc?

I have a new client whose old accountant filed manually last year and they didn't receive a notice of assessment until February this year i.e. four months after filing. I'm sure it can vary from district to district though....

Will they work out my PRSI owed?

Yes they will work it out for you.

However if there is a liability interest will run on the unpaid balance. If you did not pay any preliminary tax for 08 this interest would be backdated to the previous October 08.

dbran

Advertisement