Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will wrong oil in a 1.9 TDI PD engine damage it

Options
  • 30-11-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi,

I was driving my Octavia recently and I had the low oil light come on.

I stopped at a garage and all I could find was either 10W40 or 15W40.

The dealers recommend only using 5W40 however every garage I stopped at didn't seem to stock it.

So I was left with continuing my journey with very low oil or putting in the wrong stuff.

So I put it about 1/3 a litre of 10W40 to keep it going.

Scince then I've gone into halfords an bought some 5W40 and keeping it in the boot for when I need it again.

My question is will the engine get damaged much from the 10w40.

Should I drain the oil and put in new oil?

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

These engines like the proper oil. You only added alittle to top up but I would change the oil if it was mine. It must be a while since oil was changed if it was gone that low anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

Its about 6000 miles since the last service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Its not just the viscosity of the oil you have to look out for.

Fixed Interval Servicing of 10000miles use VW 505.01 (5w40)
    Extened Interval Servicing of 20000miles use VW507.00 (5w30)

Obviously driving with oil of the wrong spec is better than driving with no oil. VW recommends in the owners handbook to drain the sump and fill with correct specification oil in a situation like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If you put the wrong oil in to the 1.9Tdi it will still run ok, but will burn through the wrong spec oil in no time so you'll have to keep topping it up.

Either keep an eye on the level every week and top it up when required, or do a full oil change yourself.

Advertisement