Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rubbing Sound - VW Polo

Options
  • 30-11-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Recently we had flooding in the area and a few days after this my front left wheel has started to make a loud rubbing noise, Only when turning right.

my car is a VW Polo 2001 1.0 MPI.

So i was wondering if anyone could tell me what it could be, im hoping its just something caught in there somewhere.

Thanks,

WillyWonkaBar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

if its only when its turning could be the ball joint?? Know my old mazda was doing it.. If the rubber was cracked or damaged then water could have got in..

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

Is that normally expensive to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

ehhhhh... If you do it yourself then its not too bad.. But im not a mega mechanic so maybe some one here might be able to confirm what it is.. Prob best get it checked by a mechanic...

Yeah i think im going to have too.

Thanks for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Could be a number of things, maybe CV joint. Could also be nothing major at all. Get it checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Is that normally expensive to fix?

If it is a balljoint it might be not too handy a job to do at home sort thing. I'm just thinking of the time I done one myself at home in my Vectra for NCT retest and then again it might be an easier job in the Polo. It involved taking of the whole wishbone, the nuts on the inner side weren't too easy to access. Had to lever the balljoint out of its housing which was a bit of a job. The balljoint was riveted onto the wishbone. Got it off by drilling the rivets out and with the help of a gas torch also. Put new one onto wishbone with three nuts and bolts...Had checked with NCTS first and this is acceptable as long as locking nuts are used. Got balljoint into its housing with the assistance of a jack under wishbone. Took car back for retest...saw them admiring my handy work and bobs your uncle, she passed:p. I was nearly a bloody day at it and don't know if I'd have the patience to attack it again but as I say Polo may (may not) be handier job.

Worth jacking the car up I reckon and checking if there is something caught under it but I would say its unlikely this is your problem. Be very careful working under a car. If your getting under it use axle stands and park on as level and solid ground as possible.

Sounds like a tough job then, haha. Well ill jack it up this evening and have a good lool around and see what i can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Hopefully it will be something small. Also forgot to mention WillyWonkaBar when changing certain suspension components you would need to get car tracked after rightfully. I was suppose to after changing balljoint but said to myself what the hell, I'll take a chance on it and sure enough passed retest.

Well I know a good mechanic who will give me a good deal, so fingers crossed its a ball joint, I can get one of those cheap-ish.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Did you check in side the wheel arch, could be the plastic protection strip hanging down after going through a flood, might just be a case of clipping back in

• Advertisement

Not as yet, but i will be having a thorough check around the wheel and the general area.

If it is a ball joint, is that safe to drive on?

Took it to the Garage, and it wasn't a faulty ball joint. It was my brake disk was rotten.

Who'd of thought it.

Advertisement