Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calvin Harris - Make Your Own Fly Eyes

Options

Comments

Crap.

But far better than a lot of the music he's churned out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I don't see why calvin harris gets so much sh1t. I still think I Created Disco was a great album for what it was. He's not trying to be a techno legend he's just creating catchy pop tunes.

I did give up watching that video though it was kak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Exactly Zascar... I'm actually a bit of a fan of his, but I'm not under the assumption that I'm listening to anything other than disposable pop music.
    Can't see why he gets so much flak... The production quality of his music is undeniably good.
    Who cares if its cheesy as ****, its FUN cheese at the end of the day!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Exactly.

I remember when I first ever heard of Calvin Harris. I was watching some random video from a beatportal event and they were interviewing him - just saying he's come from nowhere and made an album in his bedroom and it was good etc. So I went and downloaded it... Listened to it a few weeks later and really liked it, Catchy tune and interesting composition, lyrics etc. What I totally did not know at the time is that he was very well known already - but i don't really listen to the radio etc so had no idea - but lots of my mates knew him already. Here was me thinking I'd made some sort of discovery hahaha

I think he's released some crap recently, making the mistake of going down the standard commercial electro crap that sells route - and obviously lost respect from many - but i put his album back the the car the other day and it still brought a smile to my face.

I really love the bassline on "Vegas"

I actually liked one of his songs, think it was that 'Ready for the Weekend'. In the same way I liked Kylie Minogue's 'Can't Get You Out of My Head', harmless bouncy pop.

But the rest I hate. The one where he says he 'likes white girls, he likes black girls, he likes yellow girls' is a tune that makes me feel like kicking the radio around. Plus there is the Dizzee connection...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

He's a god awful DJ though, I saw him in Spy a year or two ago playing a DJ set, and he was playing shocking stuff like DJ Funk, and then jumping around the DJ box like a superstar DJ. From what I've heard he also isn't the best live, but his stuff is good pop, and I'd rate it miles above a lot of the shite in the charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Smau5

He's a god awful DJ though, I saw him in Spy a year or two ago playing a DJ set, and he was playing shocking stuff like DJ Funk, and then jumping around the DJ box like a superstar DJ. From what I've heard he also isn't the best live, but his stuff is good pop, and I'd rate it miles above a lot of the shite in the charts.

Brutal live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Some of his stuff I like, such as I'm Not Alone (even if it does just sound like a request for Deadmau5 to make a remix). I never saw why everyone likes Ready For The Weekend, I think it's dreadful

Advertisement