Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation regs in 2004

Options
  • 30-11-2009 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Does anyone know what they were?
    Bought a celtic tiger house as i like to call it i moved into it in summer 2004.
    Recently i went looking about upgrading the insulation and to take advantage of the grants that are available. Drawing on the house says i have 100mm cavity twin wall all around the house with 50mm aeroboard in the cavity
    So when i checked , i have cavity blocks [not twin wall] on the rear and gables. The front is 100mm cavity. Insulation man comes , drilled the walls to confirm what i had thought. The cavity at the front has no aeroboard.
    So far , i think i have fibreglass rolled out behind the slabs on the external walls , what depth i am unsure. Would this be meeting the regs at the time? Also when i was having the house snagged , there was no insulaion in the attic , which they rectified before signing. 4" or 6" iirc.

Where do i stand regarding the blockwork being different from the plan?
    The Architect who designed the development tells me they could have built it timber frame and it doesnt make any difference as long as i meets the regs at the time

Unfortunately now i cannot avail of the grants as you have to insulate both walls and attic to qualify

Any comments and knowledge appreciated

ps. sorry if this is on the wrong froum section

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Murdec wrote: »
    Where do i stand regarding the blockwork being different from the plan?

Makes no difference. The onus is on the builder to build in compliance with building regulations, not in accordance to plans.

If you have 6" attic insulation and 4" fibreglass dry lining, they 'probably' meet the regs of 2002.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1654,en.pdf

There may be a possibility that the 1997 regs applied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Murdec

Cheers , was thinking that but looking for a second or third opinion. So basicly ive no rights really! Anyone else have any ideas?

Cheers , was thinking that but looking for a second or third opinion. So basicly ive no rights really! Anyone else have any ideas?

Rights to do what?

If the house is shown to be non-compliant then i suppose there are steps that could be taken, but if it does comply then there is no reason to feel aggrieved.

Its very strange to have a drylined cavity wall at the front and a drylined cavity block wall on side and rear... are you 100% on this? Is it brick finished?

also, edit: incorrect!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sydthebeat wrote: »
    also, you DO NOT have to insulate both walls and attic together to avail of the HES grant.. .they can be done individually.
    Sorry syd but you have to do both. Its to do with the minimum grant draw down which is €500 I think. Grant for wall insulation is €400 and attic is €250 iirc but you have to apply for a minimum grant of 500 so both will have to be done.

muffler wrote: »
    Sorry syd but you have to do both. Its to do with the minimum grant draw down which is €500 I think. Grant for wall insulation is €400 and attic is €250 iirc but you have to apply for a minimum grant of 500 so both will have to be done.

ta muffler...
    apologies, i was wrong (a bit :D )

I took from the post that both wall and roof must be done, they dont, but as muffler says, a minimum amount of grant aid must be applied for and neither roof nor wall will meet that amount, while both will.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Rights to do what?

If the house is shown to be non-compliant then i suppose there are steps that could be taken, but if it does comply then there is no reason to feel aggrieved.

Its very strange to have a drylined cavity wall at the front and a drylined cavity block wall on side and rear... are you 100% on this? Is it brick finished?

also, edit: incorrect!!
    By 'Rights' , i mean that i purchased a house based on the drawings. That drawing stated that the house had 100mm cavity all round with 50mm aeroboard. the house does not have this.

No the house is dashed and nap , i am 100% on the blockwork situation. There are 18 holes drilled in my walls where the insulator was looking to pump. All cavity blocks on rear and gables and 100m cavity at front with no insulation on it

I'm not looking to kick up a fuss with the builder , all i want is the house to hold the heat for more than half an hour!

I had a BER cert done last week , she tels me that the U-Value of the wall in 2004 should have been .55 , i now just have to figure out if i have that. However i'm going to find that out!

I had a BER cert done last week , she tels me that the U-Value of the wall in 2004 should have been .55

:eek: :confused:
    The u value in a wall built under 2002 regs was 0.27 (under elemental heat loss). If calculating under overall heat loss method, then the min elemental u value is 0.37... but if you had that it would mean that other elements such as floor, roof and windows would be significantly better than minimum.

I dont know where this 'assessor' came up with a figure of 0.55. ???
    By 'Rights' , i mean that i purchased a house based on the drawings. That drawing stated that the house had 100mm cavity all round with 50mm aeroboard. the house does not have this.
    !

Unless your contract with the builder was based on specification supplied, then, again, the onus on the builder is to build in accordance with current building regulations. You situation is very typical of 'celtic tiger' houses when the nitty gritty of sales contracts were not top of the agenda.
    I'm not looking to kick up a fuss with the builder , all i want is the house to hold the heat for more than half an hour!
    !

what did your assessor suggest? and what rating did the house get?

I am unsure where she got the figure of .55 to be honest. The result we did not discuss yet , she is talking with the insulation guy and is to come back with a proposal.
    Yes i thought i'm chasing my tail regarding the house not being built to plan , i'll prob just pump the empty cavity at the front , top up the attic to 12" and forget about the rest of the walls. I only intend to have the house for another 2-3 years as i'm applying for planning at the moment.

Thanks for your replies

Advertisement