Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ball joint change volvo s40

Options
  • 30-11-2009 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Hello,

does someone know how much would be a ball joint change to Volvo S40,

1998 car, 2l petrol,

failed on that in NTC,

cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

ball joint is an easy job half hour ish
    then the car will need to be tracked

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭D20903

ddarraghh wrote: »
    ball joint is an easy job half hour ish
    then the car will need to be tracked

Could you give me the details of whoever can change a ball joint on a FWD car in 30 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Just after commenting on a balljoint replacement I done at home on my Vectra for an NCT retest in another thread as it happens. Being a bit of a lazy fecker and not too fond of typing I'm just going to copy and paste in what I subscribed in the other thread and edit it a wee bit! As I say I did it myself at home and would by no means have the expertise or tools and equipment available in a mechanics workshop. It involved taking of the whole wishbone, the nuts on the inner side weren't too easy to access. Had to lever the balljoint out of its housing which was a bit of a job. The balljoint was riveted onto the wishbone. Got it off by drilling the rivets out and with the help of a gas torch also. Put new one onto wishbone with three nuts and bolts...Had checked with NCTS first and this is acceptable as long as locking nuts are used. Got balljoint into its housing with the assistance of a jack under wishbone. Took car back for retest...saw them admiring my handy work and bobs your uncle, she passedtongue.gif. I was nearly a bloody day at it and don't know if I'd have the patience to attack it again but then again Volvo S40 may (may not) be handier job.

No doubt it wouldn't take somebody the whole day to do it if they had the proper tools for the job and were doing these kind of jobs day in, day out and do bear in mind also it was a lazy Saturday for me with a lot of tea breaks. But all the same for the experts to do it in half an hour as somebody has previously suggested seems somewhat optomistic to me. (I am assuming also that it is a broady similar job on both models...which may not be the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

Did your car make a weird rubbing/grinding noise when you turned the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

There is no grinding noise, the person in the NTC centre failed the car for the ball joint so therefore I have to get it changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ManWithNoName

where you from ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

sorry i was thinking of a different ball joint
    and i can change that one in half an hour ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

just wanted to inform that bill was 90 euro, so not too bad.

Advertisement