Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car which was off the road

Options
  • 29-11-2009 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm buying my sister's old car (00 Audi A3) which has been off the road for over a year (she bought another car and couldn't sell it). It was regularly serviced all along so I'm not that worried about it's general state (apart from the usual wear and tear you'd expect from a 9 yr old car). I'm just wondering is there anything in particular I should do when getting it back on the road? e.g. should I take it for a good run on the motorway to get it working again? check the oil/ tyre pressure/ water etc?

Any advice is welcome thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

To be sure its all ok you're gonna have to give it a routine service. When a car is left lying up some of the fluids and lubricants wont be as effective as they should be when you start to use it again. Also tyres could be damaged from sitting in the same place for a year and technically speaking all the fluids should be drained i.e power steering fluid / brake fluid etc and replaced. Things that might have been damaged / worn before it was left lying up and un-noticed might be in a worse state now and could leave the car dangerous. Leave the car in for a routine service is my advice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As he said except I wouldn't bother about the power steering fluid or the coolant, apart from checking it has sufficient.

I just got a car going again that had sat idle for two years. One problem you might encounter is the clutch disc might be stuck to the flywheel and/or pressure plate.

The tyres on mine were fine once correctly inflated. There is a high likely hood it might need a new battery but try charging the old one anyway.

Watch out for the brakes, they could have seized and will probably need bedding in for a good while due to rust on the discs so they may not be fully effective for a while.

If with a good battery the engine does not turn over or hardly turns over, don't despair. Take out the spark plugs and a small quantity of clean engine oil into each cylinder and let it sit for about 15min then put some paper towls or rags over the holes and try cranking it for a a few seconds before replacing the plugs and trying to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Some classic car owners which store their cars for a number of months during the winter suggest that you change all fluids like one poster mentioned both before sticking it into storage and after taking it out :eek:.
    I wouldnt bother with changing the coolant/powersteering fluid but I would give it a new change of oil to take oil any debris that might be in the sump from being idle.

Might be worth while giving the car a once over also checking the condition of tyres, brake linings, disks etc.

Also from being idle it might have a build up of moisture and bacteria in the car. Best bet would be to air the car and give it a good clean as well as sticking a dehumidifier in it for a couple of days.

Advertisement