Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake pads

Options
  • 29-11-2009 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Got the old warning light on car that break pads need to be changed. Obviously it does not tell me if they are front or back. So here's my inevitable questions. Anyway of knowing if it the front or back that needs changing. And given the light just came on what time frame do i have to play with. Given time of the year money is not great. It's a octavia also any idea of cost

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Brake pads please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I think brake pad sensors are usually on the front.Best to have a look cause you don't want to hear that grating sound on the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

jimmyw wrote: »
    I think brake pad sensors are usually on the front.Best to have a look cause you don't want to hear that grating sound on the disc.

There is a sensor on one front & one rear pad. You will have to replace the affected sensor as well as the pads. You should also get your mechanic to check the wear to the discs as you may well have to change these as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You'll need to get a good visual look at the pads on front & back. This might be possible depending on the alloys you have fitted. You'll want to make sure you've > 5mm of pad on them.

Its entirely possible that the pads don't need to be change & the sensor is faulty, happens a lot on BMWs. Depending on the car there might be sensors fitted to one of the front pads and one of the rear pads.

The idea of the warning light, is to give you a warning that they will need changing, so should be still ok to drive, but do get checked as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Brake pads please.

Thread title updated - but please don't correct spelling (unless I read your post wrong?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 exozzie

I have a Polo Gti and got the warning light a couple of months ago. Looked at the dealer prices for replacement (ouch) and thanks to boards.ie got on to Autofast in Ballincollig. They emailed me a quote and then did a quick visual that confirmed it was only the front pads that needed replacing. 110 Euros, which seemed very fair to me.

I wouldn't hang about in getting them replaced as you can do additional damage to the disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

exozzie wrote: »
    I have a Polo Gti and got the warning light a couple of months ago. Looked at the dealer prices for replacement (ouch) and thanks to boards.ie got on to Autofast in Ballincollig. They emailed me a quote and then did a quick visual that confirmed it was only the front pads that needed replacing. 110 Euros, which seemed very fair to me.

I wouldn't hang about in getting them replaced as you can do additional damage to the disks.

€110 for just the front pads? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, if you look and feel the discs through the spokes in the alloys you can determine whether they need changing too. If there is a pronounced outer lip on the disc it needs changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 exozzie

Confab wrote: »
    €110 for just the front pads? :eek:

Yep, given the main dealers were quoting 190 Euro for a standard Polo I thought this was good value. Irish Parts have the pads at 55 Euro, if you could do the job yourself then that would save money - not my thing unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Yep, given the main dealers were quoting 190 Euro for a standard Polo I thought this was good value. Irish Parts have the pads at 55 Euro, if you could do the job yourself then that would save money - not my thing unfortunately.

A couple weeks ago i got pads and a full service kit(Oil, Oil filter, plugs, air filter and sump washer) for less 65...

Think your brakes were well over priced...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely not €190 for a polo?
    I was quoted €200 for my Audi A5 for front pads which in itself is crazy money for just pads but for a polo, that is just lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

There is a sensor on one front & one rear pad. You will have to replace the affected sensor as well as the pads. You should also get your mechanic to check the wear to the discs as you may well have to change these as well.

Most pads I have seen have a sensor build into the pad it self with just the wiring leading up to the wiring hardness. So when the pad wears down it erodes the wire in the pad, breaking the circuit thus turning on the light in the dash.

Ya VW Main dealers robbed me of 170euro for both front and rear pads for a passat. Best way to see if pads need changing is to take off the wheel to have a look and both pads on either side of the disk as the inner one had the sensor on my VW.

On the passat the sensors are on the front set of pads only. My rear set didnt look too bad but I said I would change them anyways rather than thinking about them :P

One thing to think about is that cheaper pads dont last as long. The pads on my were OEM VW and I did over 30000miles never mind what the previous owner did on them. A mate is only got slightly over 20000miles on his cheaper pads.

Try otto car parts for the pads as this is where ill be going the next time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 44 patzer

I've a 01 passat and as previsouly posted the pads have sensors built into them.

would recommend trying to get them done as soon as you can, if your discs are ok they won't be for too much longer.

changed the pads and discs on that back last year and on the front the summer gone by. I got OE spec parts from Eurocarparts.co.uk. Might want to give them a look, can't remember exactly how much they cost but I do remember them being a lot cheaper than the local motor factors and thats including delivery

Advertisement