Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing my Car......HELP!!

Options
  • 29-11-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I need to renew my motor tax tomorrow on my car i bought 2 months ago...
    What do i need to tax it?
    I heard insurance cert.....anything else??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You need to fill out this form:

RF100A Motor Tax Renewal

I assume you are back taxing for the previous two months? Oh & good luck queuing tomorrow with it being the 1st Monday of the month, it will be jammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Think you will need something signed by the guards too. Check out www.motortax.ie ...should tell you what you need

appleb wrote: »
    Think you will need something signed by the guards too. Check out www.motortax.ie ...should tell you what you need

You won't need anything signed by the Gardai if you are back taxing, you only need to get the declaration of non use section (section 7 of the linked form in my original post) if you are not taxing the car for the two months since you have owned it, e.g. if the car was off the road for 2 months then you get the non use section filled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kav1892

You need to fill out this form:

RF100A Motor Tax Renewal

I assume you are back taxing for the previous two months? Oh & good luck queuing tomorrow with it being the 1st Monday of the month, it will be jammers.

Tomorrow is the 30th? :D
    And no.....my tax runs out the end of this month, came with tax

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You can do it by post - no need to queue.

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »
    You can do it by post - no need to queue.

No im going into the office tomorrow to do it...

Is there anyone that actually knows the list of things?
    Thats all i asked :p;) :rolleyes:

Ah then you are grand, the RF100A form is all you need so along with your VLC (vehicle licensing certificate). Have you received this certificate back from Shannon yet? The original owner is meant to send this form off to VRO (vehicle registration office) with your details filled in on the back of it. The VRO then send an updated copy of the VLC to you with your details on it.
    Did you get a green & white tax renewal form in the post? If so you cantax your car on line on http://www.motortax.ie with the PIN number indicated on the form, a hell of a lot easier to do! No queuing!
    I thought it was out of tax when you bought it hence the comments on back taxing.

List:
    1. Insurance Cert
    2. VLC
    3. RF100A filled out (print off from link above, also available in the office)

Ah then you are grand, the RF100A form is all you need so along with your VLC (vehicle licensing certificate). Have you received this certificate back from Shannon yet? The original owner is meant to send this form off to VRO (vehicle registration office) with your details filled in on the back of it. The VRO then send an updated copy of the VLC to you with your details on it.
    Did you get a green & white tax renewal form in the post? If so you cantax your car on line on http://www.motortax.ie with the PIN number indicated on the form, a hell of a lot easier to do! No queuing!
    I thought it was out of tax when you bought it hence the comments on back taxing.

Yes i have gotten the logbook back, so i bring that?
    Do i need any of the following?
    Driving license?
    NCT Cert?
    Insurance Cert?
    No didnt get online renewal form, i presume it is because this is my own first time taxing it? :mad:

Thanks Rebel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

You can also do it online.Insurance , vlc form maybe, money.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticContent.do?page=faq

oh mentioned already!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No need for the insurance cert or the VRC. The RF100A on its own is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,143 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You will need your insurance details for the renewal form. They usually do not ask to see your insurance cert or registration cert though.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I needed my insurance cert last time I had to go and do it myself, rather than online.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If your disc says 11/09, you're legally ok driving it with that same disc until the last day of the next month so no need to rush or worry :)

I don't know how 'legal' that would be if push came to shove.... Sure, most Gardaí will accept your "It's in the post" excuse during that first month, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Not your ornery onager

The offence is complete at midnight on the 1st of the month. No grace need be given.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'll post here so's I wont have to make another thread. My mams car's tax and NCT is up because it's been off the road for a few months. Now she wants to get it back on the road but you can't tax it without NCT and you can't drive to the NCT test centre without tax. What options are there? Thanks!

but you can't tax it without NCT
    LOL! Oh yes you can tax it without a NCT.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Orly? How?

They don't ask for a NCT when you tax a car. Been like that for the last 5 years or so.
    I drove one car around for 2 years with no NCT, not a bother taxing it.

Hmm, when I taxed my car in sept you had to put it in on the form. Maybe it was because it was my first time taxing it?

• Advertisement

That only asks for a cert of roadworthiness for goods vehicles. Leave that blank.

Hmm, when I taxed my car in sept you had to put it in on the form. Maybe it was because it was my first time taxing it?
    There is a space on the form for NCT details, but you don't have to fill it in. The requirement was dropped a few years ago when the NCT staff were on strike, and loads of people couldn't tax their car. They never re-instituted the requirement.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    I don't know how 'legal' that would be if push came to shove.... Sure, most Gardaí will accept your "It's in the post" excuse during that first month, but I wouldn't bank on it.
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    The offence is complete at midnight on the 1st of the month. No grace need be given.

I can't find anywhere else that states this, but on the Donegal site, it states this:
    The Days of Grace Vehicle Licence is effective for the first seven days of each month.
    The days of grace are used in Motor Tax Offices in the following circumstances:

1. To allow applications to be processed for a particular month that are received in the post where the application was posted at the end of a month received in the Motor Tax Office during the first seven days of the next month
    2. To allow applications rejected at the front counter during a particular month and received back in during the first seven days of the next month.
    3. To alleviate queues at the beginning of the month.

One month after your tax renewal date, motor tax arrears will become due on your vehicle.

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/informationpoints/roadusers/taxingyourvehicle.htm

There is no provision in law to give any period of grace. It is up to the individual Garda.

Seems that way from what I've seen but why would the Donegal site state the above?

Even if you have taxed your car online on the 29th if the month (as I did with both of mine on Sunday :() you can still befined for non display of a valid tax disc of you are caught on the 1st Dec. Even if you had a printed receipt proving you had paid your dues.
    The law is the law & a Garda is perfectly entitled to enforce it. However thankfully the majority of the force are human & would turn a blind eye in most cases if the car was out of tax for less than a month.

I've been going around sure that there was a 1 month grace period, think I even said it to a Garda once when they questioned my disc and they agreed with me and just said get it sorted soon :o

Advertisement