Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im Interested in Getting a Siberian Husky

Options
  • 29-11-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi Im living in Limerick city and I'am intersested in buying a Siberian Husky,
    Id perfer to get one as a young pup, but Im not shure who to go to, to get hold of one. Does anyone know of a good breeder??, and any other advice would be brilliant ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hey Icrcboy

You could try phoning the all Ireland Siberian Husky Club and asking if they know any breeders having litters at the moment. Contact details are as below.

Mrs. Anita Foley Duggan

Leorient House, The Green, Ballyragget, Co. Kilkenny.

(056-8833817) or (056-8833160

It's unlikely at this point that you will get one before xmas as most reputable breeders will not breed at xmas time to avoid 'xmas puppies' which are soon gotten bored of.

Make sure whichever breeder you go to has the relevant health checks carried out on the sire and Dam such as hip and eye scores. Having a pup bred from parents which good hip and eye scored reduces the possibility of the offspring getting these diseases which can be very costly not to mention detrimental to the dogs quality of life.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Check out the All Ireland Siberian Husky Club Website:
    http://www.allirelandsiberianhuskyclub.webs.com

Make sure you do alot of research on the breed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

ISDW rescues huskies, and she occasionally has pups!
    Just make sure you do a LOT of research into the breed before you get one as they are a VERY different breed to most other dogs.

I got Bella, a 4.5 month old Sib. husky recently after doing loads and loads of research, and Im glad I did the research as there's a lot to learn about the breed!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Make sure you research the breed!

Sibes are noteriously bad at recall so be prepared for a dog you may never be able to let off the lead in an unsecured place.that include forest walks parks etc.

Make sure your garden is secure they can and will be able to jump fences of around 6 feet is usually high enough...so you need a sturdy one, 6 feet tall with no horzontal boards or bins beside it as they will us them as steps .

They also really like to dig...a lot... so not for the garden proud

They are notorious for killing small animals so be careful if you have a cat or rabbit.sibes that got along grand with cats from puppy hood have been known to suddenly kill them.It also means if your dog escapes you may be in trouble with the neighbours or farmers who can and will shoot them if they are seen on their land.

Be ready for a lot of long walks with your new pet these dogs were designed to rum up to 70 km's a day so they have very high energy levels.a short walk relly isnt good enough.unexercised huskys can be very destructive.well no i take that back unexercised huskys are even more destuctive
    theres a motto of one of the sibe owners i know the more tired the dog is the happier it is.

they are known for being stubborn and having a mind of their own so they need training from day 1

They also shed...a.lot!so need daily groomin if they are to live inside

You are also going to need a vet experienced with this breed.sibes are very sensitive to some normal canine anaestheitic,sedatives and tranquilisers.They also need to be weighed before they are treated to work out the ratio of drugs given as their heavy coat make them look larger than they are

And the the obvoius be very careful who you buy from.
    As they grow in popularity more puppy farmers are beginning to breed them.
    Make sure you see the mother and if possibly the father.Dont buy from someone who advertises a load of different breeds of dogs=puppy farmer.dont buy a pup simply because you feel sorry for it,your condeming its mother and future siblings to the same life.

Check what health checks the mother and father have done the first one that springs to mind is hip dysplasia...ask to see the chart of the parents hip scores,they should be a specific number...under the breed average.
    Pups cant be scored at 8 weeks so anyone who tells you that your pup has been looked at and scored is lying.Hip dysplasia testing involves an anaesethic and xrays its not done on young pups,they are scored according to parent and grandparents scores there should be paperwork.
    Also juvenile cataracts have been highlighted as a problem in this breed in other parts of the world.The breeder here may not have eye health certs but do ask if there have been problems in the line and check for cloudyness in the eyes of both mother and pup
    Id advise insuring your pup when you get it.

Th pups owner should be happy to have you ask questions a really good one will ask you plenty of questions as well.
    The best type of reputable breeder are those who have strict breeding rules and a contract stating that the pup can be returned if it does not all work out(but these are very rare)

The Siberian husky although a challenging dog are amazing pets,as long as there well trained and well exercised.Be prepared to feel like you walking a pup every day as people tend to have hugh intreast in the breed and are happy to ask questions about them.also be prepared to answer the is that a wolf question constantly!

this is a very god link for any questions you might have
    http://www.siberianhuskyclub.com/

Also if you are considering a husky there were some in the rescue centres in the northwest spca lately.and there are specific breed rescue sites
    http://irishdogs.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9403&PID=153417
    so resue migt be worth looking into.
    Plus they wont cost hundreds of euro's and you will be resucing a dog that needs a home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Aru, that is a brilliant post, I think you've covered just about everything there:D

As you say, they are now one of the most puppy farmed breeds, there are a lot of disreputable breeders out there unfortunately. So definitely go through the All Ireland club, you may have to wait for a puppy, but it will be from a breeder who does all of the health checks.

I have a few adult siberians here looking for homes at the moment as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

ISDW wrote: »
    Aru, that is a brilliant post, I think you've covered just about everything there:D

As you say, they are now one of the most puppy farmed breeds, there are a lot of disreputable breeders out there unfortunately. So definitely go through the All Ireland club, you may have to wait for a puppy, but it will be from a breeder who does all of the health checks.

I have a few adult siberians here looking for homes at the moment as well.

it might be a bit to much imfo but i was thinking of getting a sibe a while ago,there lovely looking dogs and everyone i met has been so friendly!

.....but after meeting a few different owners and doing a load of research i figured they just arent the dog for me :( esp as they are such hunter's.....
    maybe someday in the future when i dont have cats,rabbits and affection for my garden...:D

I think if you tell people 100 times what the shedding is like , they will still not be prepared for it. Its just crazy . There is hair everywere , it ends up all over you. In your mouth . Its just horrible.

Its one of those things were you wonder were all the hair has come from . It looks like hair from 3 dogs . .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG1VGLpH90I

Advertisement