Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DV lottery 2011

Options
  • 29-11-2009 8:33pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mods, feel free to move this, just for anyone who has applied who wants advice or general discussion.

Anyway... first time applying so i'm hoping i strike it lucky:rolleyes:. If i do get a visa i have no problem swimming over there! Will most likely move to NY if I get a visa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭CFC007

Good idea! 1st time entering myself. I just hope my application doesn't get rejected for my photo! Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Mods, feel free to move this, just for anyone who has applied who wants advice or general discussion.

Anyway... first time applying so i'm hoping i strike it lucky:rolleyes:. If i do get a visa i have no problem swimming over there! Will most likely move to NY if I get a visa.

Not being a smartarse but advice on what?? You apply and they either send you out a letter to say you have won or you simply dont hear from them, i thought that was the long and short of the whole process, no?

Would anyone have a fecking clue how many actually apply from Ireland? 10,000 + ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

macca1983 wrote: »
    Not being a smartarse but advice on what?? You apply and they either send you out a letter to say you have won or you simply dont hear from them, i thought that was the long and short of the whole process, no?

Would anyone have a fecking clue how many actually apply from Ireland? 10,000 + ?

Macca thats the process :) but specifically we can put up sdvice on where to look for rentals, where are the best areas for the type of job you want, how to get a social security number, how to get decent health coverage, how to get a mobile phone etc etc.

I'm not sure that information is realeased, but someone feel free to correct me. My aunty has applied each year for the last 15 years and never got it. A guy i know applied first time and got it.
    CFC007 wrote: »
    Good idea! 1st time entering myself. I just hope my application doesn't get rejected for my photo! Best of luck!!

You shouldnt, i uploaded the wrong photo and it was rejected there and then and a message was given to upload a 600x600 photo.

Macca thats the process :) but specifically we can put up sdvice on where to look for rentals, where are the best areas for the type of job you want, how to get a social security number, how to get decent health coverage, how to get a mobile phone etc etc.

I'm not sure that information is realeased, but someone feel free to correct me. My aunty has applied each year for the last 15 years and never got it. A guy i know applied first time and got it.

You shouldnt, i uploaded the wrong photo and it was rejected there and then and a message was given to upload a 600x600 photo.

I am with you now!Jumping the gun a little but sure how bad. I am moving to LA or San Diego if i get it!Who is with me?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I am with you now!Jumping the gun a little but sure how bad. I am moving to LA or San Diego if i get it!Who is with me?!

Too hot for me buddy! I like it cold, so NY, Chicago, Boston, Maine.. would eventually like to move out to the west coast and have a log cabin in the rockies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Fingers crossed for SD :D

so if you've applied this year, is it for the draw next June or the following June?

Draw is next June Lisa, best fo luck :) (well not so much luck that it stops me from winning!!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Is this closed now?

jank wrote: »
    Is this closed now?

Yes - closed yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 billboard1

take it from someone who has already been there its not all its cracked up to be,, someone told me your chances are one in 70,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Take it from someone else who is still there - your mileage may vary but LA is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Zodiac12345

billboard1 wrote: »
    take it from someone who has already been there its not all its cracked up to be,, someone told me your chances are one in 70,000

I play the Lotto religiously and i believe i will win, so the odds there i think are pretty good as far as im concerned considering the Lotto odds.

I have being to both and spent a fair of time in both - they are definitely the SH*T!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It depends on what you're doing there and who you're with. You can have a crappy time anywhere in the world and your best friend will have the time of their life! Personally I am loving So Cal!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

seven years I've put in for it & got diddly squat...know a girl who has been applying for 15, yep 15 years and still no joy...you could be lucky first time but don't hold your breath.....

My aunty has applied each year for the last 15 years and never got it. A guy i know applied first time and got it.
    the varg wrote: »
    seven years I've put in for it & got diddly squat...know a girl who has been applying for 15, yep 15 years and still no joy...you could be lucky first time but don't hold your breath.....

I see the 15 year thing isnt that uncommon! I told my aunty i'd applied, she said she'd kill me if i got it!

but like i said i know another guy who just applied out of the blue one year and got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

The number of anecdotes about getting a green card that crop up here annually lead to a false sense of the odds. If you run the numbers, you see that you'd need to do the green card lottery each year for over 30 years to get a 1 in 2 change of winning it. And that was using numbers from when the economy was good and the number of people applying would have been relatively lower.

Advertisement