Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Life Bulbs

Options
  • 29-11-2009 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Not all that long?

We have a few around the house. Firstly they have to warm up before giving good light and now it seems that they don't live all that long. How long should the live and what is the average life of a normal bulb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

The average rated life of a CFL is between 8 and 15 times that of incandescents.[7] CFLs typically have a rated lifespan of between 6,000 and 15,000 hours, whereas incandescent lamps are usually manufactured to have a lifespan of 750 hours or 1,000 hours.[8][9] Some incandescent bulbs with long rated lifespans of 20,000 hours have reduced light output.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp#Lifespan

What brand OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bucklesman wrote: »

GE

So the bulbs are in the Hall, we generally turn these lights on and off when we need them i.e. going up stair, on our way into other rooms and to answer the door. It seems to me that these light bulbs should be regular rather than the CFLs since turning them on and off causes them to die quickly. We turn off lights to save electricity and the US suggest that we leave them on for 15min to mitigate the problems ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Home & Garden > Electrical

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    Moved to Home & Garden > Electrical

dudara

Doesn't seem to have helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Elmo wrote: »
    GE

So the bulbs are in the Hall, we generally turn these lights on and off when we need them i.e. going up stair, on our way into other rooms and to answer the door. It seems to me that these light bulbs should be regular rather than the CFLs since turning them on and off causes them to die quickly. We turn off lights to save electricity and the US suggest that we leave them on for 15min to mitigate the problems ?????
    you're right .the quoted life of cfls is reduced for short-on times.
    you could leave always leave them on for a while .afaik led are unaffected

• Advertisement

davelerave wrote: »
    you're right .the quoted life of cfls is reduced for short-on times.
    you could leave always leave them on for a while .afaik led are unaffected

Leave them on for a while?!/?..>!" :confused: doesn't that waste electricity???? :confused: what the point of them if you are not saving electricity.

Advertisement