Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex poker player needs the dole

• 29-11-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,
    I am hoping to get some advice on this topic. I played poker professionally for the past few years. In this time I lived entirely off my winnings. Now, I am leaving the game behind as I'm getting less and less from it and I want to move on to other more interesting things.

I am currently out of work and unfortunately need to take the dole as a temporary stepping stone. I have an appointment where I'll have to explain my situation.

My question is, what will my position be by telling them about my living off of poker? I'm not posting this to try and trick the system and besides I know that that kind of advice is not allowed here. I'm just hoping to get some general advice on this as I know very little about it.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll get you started with the little I know, and those more knowledgeable can row in to confirm / correct.

I think the first question that will be relevant is whether you were gainfully employed before you started depending on poker for your sole source of income? What type of job did you do and whether it was full - time / part - time, and how long you held it for. If you worked full - time for an extended period, you should have PRSI credits built up in your name that are relevant to a current application for JSA (? those more in the know).

I can't see a reason not to be honest with the,. All you really need to explain is that you were managing to derive a liveable income from playing poker, and were happy enough financially to not have to seek employment. I'd imagine that what they would need to see from you now is that you are genuinely committed to seeking work at present (your CV, copies of job emails / applications probably helpful here).

Then like any sort of meeting with a government agency / bank / etc, I'd make sure you have all relevant documentation with you (Passport, DOB, P45, ??? those more in the know). I'd also make sure to be of tidy appearance, bring a positive and attentive attitude to the meeting, and remain calm and listen to what they have to say.

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Just be honest about your situation and you'll be fine. If your being means tested they may ask what the deposits (if there was any) into your bank accounts were from, just let them know what was going on. Your more than likely going to be talking to someone who was no concept of online poker/gambling so try and explain in lay terms as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Don't worry about it, it's not taxable income so just lie about how much you made and play desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think the first question that will be relevant is whether you were gainfully employed before you started depending on poker for your sole source of income? What type of job did you do and whether it was full - time / part - time, and how long you held it for. If you worked full - time for an extended period, you should have PRSI credits built up in your name that are relevant to a current application for JSA (? those more in the know).

JSBenefits from PRSI credits, otherwise it's means tested JSAllowance.

Your problems are going to be due to any large amounts in bank accounts and the fact that you might not have enough(any) stamps for Benefit. Pro players are better off still signing on for the stamp alone without claiming any money. It counts later like at pension time afaik.

You'll also have to make some job applications and join FAS. You will probably get asked as to why you haven't secured employment. The 'there are no jobs' line is fine.

Having lived off poker for the last while shouldn't be any problem.

gl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Rb wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, it's not taxable income so just lie about how much you made and play desperate.
    Do not do this - it is fraud. Infracted.

Be honest, they will request your bank statements anyway so its not as if you will be able to hide it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement