Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

induction kit...insurance?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

lads,thinking of putting an induction kit on my car. im 18 full license car's 1.2 would ye all recommend me telling the insurance company if i got one cos i know how sticky insurance co's are about paying out but id rather not get fla'd even more on insurance.thanking ye

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd certainly recommend it's disclosure.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread moved to Modified Cars, off-topic posts have been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i am a pretty safe driver lyk no speeding bull****.specially with a 1.2 anyway!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

An induction kit will only add noise on a 1.2, no power whatsoever and if its an open cone type one you will lose power thanks to heat soakage.

However you should declare it to your insurance company anyway as in the event of an accident they will use it as an excuse not to pay out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

As Draffo said, it'd be pointless, it'll cost money to put in, it'll cost money to declare it...and it'll lose you power!

I assume that it's a Punto or Corsa (Just guessing as it's a 1.2), keep your money man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Bust me mate Decco said it would add 10+ BHP to any car :(

tuxy wrote: »
    No way, sure I was reading about buying a Mugen Induction Kit for my Type R and decided against it because the power gain was so small.

On an N/A Engine, an Induction Kit would be pretty much a waste of money.

The guys in AI Autosport told me the same and those fella's really know their stuff. Decco is lyin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Decco would box your jaw asunder for such talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Certain induction kits have been proven to get gains of 10bhp on N/A engines ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

It'll void your insurance if your dont declare it.

When you apply for insurance its specifically stated that you must declare any and all modifications.

As for the above about safe driving it doesn't matter you will effectively be driving wit no insurance.

The right way to do it is to ring the insurance company, tell them what you plan to do and get a quote on what it will do to your premiums. Thats what i did and they told me the difference in price.

In the case of a heavily modified vehicle an engineers report will be required to make sure its not a death trap. (not all mods are a good idea and they can be done badly/dangerously)

On a performance side the 10bhp increase on any car is overly simplistic and it applies less and less to modern cars. In the days of Carbs it made a significant difference. For an example certain opel/vauxhalls used to have a heart attack if you fitted one and actually lost power.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

SV wrote: »
    Certain induction kits have been proven to get gains of 10bhp on N/A engines ;)
    On a 1.2 Corsa/Punto or something of the like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

tuxy wrote: »
    Nah, it's the stripes down the side of your car that do that for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    On a 1.2 Corsa/Punto or something of the like?!

Ha..nah, Saxo VTS!

i know it wont make any difference to the 60hp in my punto i just want it for the noise. but i DONT want a loud exhaust that wrecks my head at 10kph!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

So get a box that makes pew pew noises and blare it while driving? :confused:

ya but its still gonna rumble when im driving normally and my punto aint modified atal hardly so...no thanks.

Advertisement