Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying car in UK- Is drive away insurance needed?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

I'm planning on buying a used car over in the UK in the next few weeks. Does anybody know if I need to purchase some sort of drive away insurance to drive it home? (e.g. London to Wales to get the ferry and then Dun Laoghaire to home)

If so, how do I go about this because when I go over I wont know for definite if I'm going to buy the car or not?!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

If you check your existing policy are you insured to drive in a foreign country?
    What I did was contacted my insurance company and changed the car I was insured on to that of the Uk registered vehicle (some insurers do this be it is only valid for 30days). So you can also tell them that you want the change to take the effect in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bonger

What I did was contacted my insurance company and changed the car I was insured on to that of the Uk registered vehicle

Hey thanks for the reply, but if I go over to look at 2 or 3 cars without knowing which one I plan on driving home, is there any way around this? Would the dealer's insurance cover driving away a new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭kdevitt

bonger wrote: »
    Would the dealer's insurance cover driving away a new car?

No it won't. You'll need to transfer your own policy onto it, or arrange to have the car delivered to the port. Do it on a week day if you have a choice of cars - you can arrange the temporary transfer when you pick your car that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I was watching carwars on sky last night. They stopped a guy with open drive insurance driving his partners car that was uninsured. 6 penalty points, £200 fine on the spot and the only reason they let him keep the car is he took out insurance over the phone there and then. He was caught by an ANPR camera. I'd check out the insurance issue very carefully or get the owner to deliver /drive it to the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bonger

Cool, thanks for the advice folks. I guess I'll have to get in touch with my insurance company then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can ring them from the UK when you've purchased. Tell them what you intend to do before you go, just to be sure.

p.s. If the car is more valuable, higher ins. group, or more sporty expect an increase in your premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

Best bet is to get your own insurance sorted to drive the new car.

However if you're buying from trader, a lot of UK dealers now include 7-day free insurance. Worth checking it out IMHO

good luck

Advertisement